OEM v pattern clutch cables

strokernut

Re: OEM v pattern clutch cables

Post by strokernut »

It's always a good idea to fit the best you can find (and afford) but also bear in mind that 'NOS' means just that: OLD. Over the years I've bought plenty of NOS parts and I've often been disappointed. Old parts from any source can deteriorate in the 30+ years since they stopped making them, and don't kid yourself that anything with a Suzuki label was necessarily made by Suzuki: all vehicle manufacturers 'farm out' work to any number of outside firms. We all know about Nippon Denso, Mikuni, Takasago, Koyto, to name but a few. Don't forget that some other OE bits were questionable, to say the least. My own T20 came with Inoue tyres: Original equipment? Yes. Rubbish? You bet! My 'aftermarket' Dunlops were a revelation and I probably owe my life to them.
We all have our own opinions but I was reading the other day that 'Slinky Glide' cables are rated by many as better than OE items - I've used them and no complaints so far. I also used Venhill cables in my dirt biking days and at the time they were the best available; the first to use teflon liners.
The 'orrible frayed cable at the top of the page reminds me of my youth on British bikes: standards were much lower in those days and things like this were commonplace. We used to tape a spare cable to the original on the bike because we never knew when it would break. One thing we did know was that it was only a matter of time.
With a garage (and shed) full of 1970's bikes I'm always on the lookout for used and NOS parts at autojumbles. There's usually plenty of choice but examine your potential purchases carefully. The 30+ year rule definitely applies here - most of this stuff has done the rounds for years if not decades through all weathers and has suffered from plenty of manhandling, ripped plastic bags and constantly opened boxes. You will also need a comprehensive list to compare part numbers, if they're still legible! Use your judgement when buying any spares.
KETTLE BOY

Re: OEM v pattern clutch cables

Post by KETTLE BOY »

+1 on that strokenut.. N.o.s is just that, there 30/40 years old, before you fit them.. and rubbers get hard, and things dry out, unless stored correctly.. :o
GT750 J 1972
GT750 L 1974
Z900 A4 1976
ZZR1100. 1998
Breville Sandwich Maker
I'm never wrong.. Once I thought I was, but I was mistaken.