GT550 exhaust coupler O rings

Alan H

GT550 exhaust coupler O rings

Post by Alan H »

I couldn't find any when I did the K, so I bought some from Machine Mart - a great big boxful of all different sizes, some of which have been used elsewhere on the bike and on the model helicopters. Anyway, Barney asked about them so here's the info for anyone else.

The internal measurement of the connectors where the O ring goes is 44mm and the outer parts on the exhausts are 48mm, so if you get a 42x48mm O ring, which is 3mm thick, it will be a tight fit and not leak.
Something like these in fact; - 2.5mm section (clicky) which will go together a bit easier at £2.90 for 10, or these 3mm section (clicky) for £4.25 for 10 but they will be a pig to fit! I know cos that's the size I used, they don't leak though!! I got 42mm ID O rings as they stay in the grooves when fitting the pipes together and a quick squirt of WD40 or similar will let them go together a bit easier. I used a ratchet luggage strap to pull the exhausts together and they never leaked, but came apart fairly easy. See pic for details.

The GT750 ones are a bit bigger, so if anyone wishes to put those sizes on, I'll change the title to include that model too.
Attachments
exhaust strap.jpg
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
nairb123

Re: GT550 exhaust coupler O rings

Post by nairb123 »

Alan H wrote:The GT750 ones are a bit bigger, so if anyone wishes to put those sizes on, I'll change the title to include that model too.
Those connectors & O-rings are the same size on my 750L & 550J. They have the same p/n. I dont know about the 750J/K or 550K/L.

Pesky things anyway.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Thanks for the tip Alan have ordered ten give them a go!
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Fitted the exhausts today with these o rings recommended by Alan. They seem great, haven't started it yet but you were right Alan took some strength pulling them together with the ratchet!
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
nairb123

Post by nairb123 »

I bought some as well. What a bargain. Not fitted any yet. No excuse for leaking exhaust joints.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Got the bike running today these big O rings are fantastic! I am never going back to OEM and that messy paste. If you have crossovers give these a go.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
barney01

Post by barney01 »

I have just had my exhausts off doing another job the new o rings have been on for about 1200 miles no leaks. Came apart easily and I was amazed to find that the rubber o rings were still soft as opposed to the OEM ones that go hard very quickly and disintegrate when pulled apart. I have replaced them with new because I bought ten but I reckon the old ones could go back together again.!
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Missed out on being the supplier or on commission!! :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated