re lining tank

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
crazy4557

re lining tank

Post by crazy4557 »

I've lined my tank with POR15 about a year ago and I put some fuel in the tank and left it for a few months. Now I've come to use it the coating obviously hasn't worked right so I need to do it again with the same stuff. There seems to be a load of crap still in the bottom when I emptied the tank so can I clean this out with fresh petrol/diesel and then re-line it or do I have to go back to the start and remove the lining that's in there now?
I should of done it properly first time. :evil:
1976 GT550A in black
barney01

Re: re lining tank

Post by barney01 »

So there are many different opinions on this. Mine is that you are better off just de rusting the inside of the tank using oxalic acid or similar. But if you want to use a liner this kit includes a solvent to remove the old one first
https://www.por15.com/POR-15-Motorcycle ... Repair-Kit
Or
https://www.tankcareproducts.co.uk/
They also do one.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
crazy4557

Post by crazy4557 »

I guess what you are saying is I need to remove the POR15 lining that I've done? I was hoping to be able to just de rust and then pour in the new lining material. The tanks all painted so I need to be careful to not damage any of that so I might just cover the tank in duct tape to protect it.
1976 GT550A in black
barney01

Post by barney01 »

If it were me i would just use the solvent to remove the old liner and then clean the inside with oxalic acid. If you then have to leave the tank never fill it with ethanol petrol that absorbs water and will rust the tank from the inside. The problem with liners is that unless the tank is rust free its just a matter of time until the liner starts breaking up and filling your carbs.
IMHO you are best to clean the tank with the acid and then fit an in line filter to catch any minute rust particles.
The acid is easy to obtain in crystal form (and cheap)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxalic-Acid- ... Sw7zJdIgTb
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
crazy4557

Post by crazy4557 »

Thanks Barney.
1976 GT550A in black
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

The tank on my hippo had been linered twice and when I put petrol in it all came loose. The tank had to be chemical dipped to remove it (after I tried several types of cleaner which never bottomed the liners, just fetched lumps off.
Of course that knackered the new paintwork.....
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Gary66

Post by Gary66 »

POR 15 has to be applied exactly as per the instructions say, if you dont follow them correctly it will fail. I did my x7 tank to the letter and it has been fine, however i had some spare cleaner and a spare tank so did that one too, i had no metal prep left, i decided to just go with the cleaner followed by 2 tins of tank sealer just to be sure, it failed i think due to the bad preparation from me and in the end i sold the tank, shame really as i had painted it in "gulf" colours and it looked great on the X7
senicoli

Post by senicoli »

decided to reseal the petcock on my T350J today on removal of the tap I was slightly alarmed at the amount of rust that came out upon further inspection inside quite a bit more rust in there than I would like to see luckily no leaks yet it there are no signs of a previous liner in it I intend to put small pea gravel in it and shake rattle and roll then use the POR 15 kit with the tank prep degreaser and sealant I would be grateful for other members opinions I have read bad reports of POR15 is this because of bad preparation before use thank you colin
Oscarmog01

Post by Oscarmog01 »

How would you use the acid, my tank is clean inside, but before I have it painted was thinking of using the acid just in case any info please
byarchie

Post by byarchie »

I used a product from a company called tankcure products. It is a expoxy liner which is 100% ethanol resistant. It has been in my gt 750 for 4 years and is still perfect. I also have it in 3 other bikes and it is a brilliant product. The kit comes with all chemicals required for preperation and a solvent is also available for removing old lining products that have failed