To seal or not to seal?

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
RobMc

To seal or not to seal?

Post by RobMc »

Sorry if this subject has been answered before ,I did look but had no luck..my GT380j fuel tank had a lot of rust in when I got it,I`ve used bilt hamber fuel tank cleaner which has cleaned it up quite well-I then sloshed some kerosene round the tank which I thought would coat/prevent further rust .Looking in the tank I can see small amounts of rust still-has anyone any advice on a good cure for this?Can anyone recommend a tank sealer or is it best to steer clear of this?I have read a few horror stories about it..
canaletto5

Re: To seal or not to seal?

Post by canaletto5 »

Everyone has there own way on this one ! I never seal tanks, there are too many horror stories of the seal breaking down for me.

I use a warm citric acid solution. A kilo of this stuff http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anhydrous-Cit ... dIVAD36sNQ dissolved in enough water to fill the tank (15-20 litres) should be well enough

Seal the fuel tap hole with a home made blanking plate and thin rubber sheet.Top the tank up to the brim and leave a couple of days. The level will drop as air escapes so keep topping up. Tapping the tank with your knuckles around the fuel filler helps the air escape. Shine a torch in the filler to check on progress. Once the surface rust has gone, leave another day.

Get two buckets of hot water and have an airline or beefy hair dryer handy (Don't electrocute yourself!) You also need a big tin of WD40 with the fixed extension pipe on it (Not the loose one)

These next steps need to be completed as quickly as possible.

Drain the tank, fit the blanking plate and fill with a half bucket of hot water. Slosh it around and drain off. Repeat until the last half bucket. Spray a ton of WD40 inside the tank, particularly the area below the filler as this is prone to flash rust as air gets to it. Fill the tank with the last half bucket, slosh and drain the watery oil and then spray the WD-40 in again before doing anything else. Set your tank so the fuel tap hole is at the lowest point so it can drain. Then blow air into it from front to back to force liquid out. Spray more WD40 in, enough so it starts to slosh a bit. Rotate the tank around so it coats as much of the inside as possible, then let it drain out. Use a chunk of strong kitchen towel in the fuel tap hole as a wick but don't push it into the tank !

Despite all this, you may still see some flash rust in the area below the filler. If it bugs you. Get some phosphoric acid on a 1/4 inch paint brush and coat the area, this will get rid of it. Don't drop the brush in the tank. Spray more WD40 on the area to protect it.

As I say, there are loads of different ways but this one always works for me. Kev
martyducati

Post by martyducati »

I used citric acid crystals and water solution,I just let it sit for a few days with a rusty bolt suspended inside the tank(to check how the rust removal was coming on)it does a great job!
Take a look at " tank care products" website,I used the sealer two years ago and it's been perfect!
RobMc

Post by RobMc »

Thank you both for the information :)