clutch GT750B

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
teazer

Re: clutch GT750B

Post by teazer »

chrispyduck wrote:Kev yes it is No26 in the diagram and that is there however it falls out of place as there is so much space. Its like the whole assembly needs tightening however both the nuts on the end of the shaft are tight.

when i put a spanner on the nut it turns the shaft so tried locking the shaft with a screw driver in the slotted end but it is tight. not sure where the sudden play has come from :shock:
All sorts of possibilities and all of them exist in or inside that clutch cover. First place I would look is at the actuating arm. It is possible that at some time in the past a prior owner may have fitted a replacement arm that was not the right one for the actuating piece. if that were the case, the oblong hole would be much larger than the flats on the shaft. Check that first.

As you are doing that check to ensure that the arm is fitted on the matching part of the "ball guide release outer". If everything looks OK in the outer cover, remove the inner cover and see if either the clutch hub nut has come loose or the clutch spring bolts have come loose. It's also possible that the center bearing may have collapsed. That's unusual, but it's a simple bearing and the cage might have collapsed. It should be obvious what's wrong and you dig in.
chrispyduck

Post by chrispyduck »

Thanks for the information. I will dig in when I get home from various work related trips away.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Does the arm look like this?
kettle clutch.jpg
chrispyduck

Post by chrispyduck »

canaletto5 wrote:Does the arm look like this?

kettle clutch.jpg

Yes the arm looks like that :)
teazer

Post by teazer »

There were two different designs that look the same, but one has a larger hole than the other. Obviously one with a small hole will not fit over a large shaft, but it's possible to fit one of the actuating arms with a large hole over a small shaft and that would rotate around teh shaft before it starts to lift the clutch.

Similarly, if the two nuts are tight against each other but the inner nut was not tight enough against that arm (too much slack), teh actuating arm could slip off and rotate and at that point it would all feel tight, but would not lift the clutch.

Fortunately, it will be obvious once you start to pull the nuts off. You have to do that to get the inner cover off anyway, so look at those parts and see if that's an issue.
chrispyduck

Post by chrispyduck »

Just got round to a fix on this. It was the clutch hub nut loose. Now all back together and running sweetly thanks for replies earlier they did help.
Brilliant forum just wish i had more time.