clutch GT750B

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
chrispyduck

clutch GT750B

Post by chrispyduck »

changed gear box oil and took her out for a short ride. clutch ok as i started off then as i pulled the clutch lever in after a few minutes i noticed lots of play in the lever so made mental note to adjust when i got home. next time i pulled the clutch lever; nothing, no clutch, lever came back to the bars. knocked it into 1st gear and gently got home (only a couple of miles).
the cable hasn't snapped as i can pull and push both ends. but i can't think what else it could be. when i go to undo the screws on clutch adjustment cover oil runs out. is this normal or have i disturbed something changing the oil? currently the clutch cover is still in place however i realise this has to come off but will all the gear box oil come out.
i am sure its just something simple but i thought would check with you guys first.

Thanks
raysunners

Re: clutch GT750B

Post by raysunners »

What oil did you put in? you can remove cover should only be a little oil in there maybe the cable has popped out of the clutch arm.
Last edited by raysunners on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrispyduck

Post by chrispyduck »

10 40 semi synthetic.
I'll take the cover off and have a look :shock:
750dunc

Post by 750dunc »

Put it on the side stand you should just lose a small amount, even if you take the large cover off to have a look.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Chris,
Its normal to lose a little oil when you take off the clutch inspection cover. My guess is the locknut that holds the clutch pull plate under that cover has come loose. I've had that happen a couple of times. Though in my cases, the lever went solid.
Good luck!
Mike
chrispyduck

Post by chrispyduck »

Took the cover off............... :roll:

cable intact. however the slotted plate which is oblong in shape to which the cable is attached is floating around. it won't stay in position and the shaft moves in and out. the nuts (including one locking nut) are tight but can't figure out why there is free play behind allowing slotted plate to fall out of position. :?

Mike as i said the bolts appear tight on the shaft. the shaft has a slotted end presumably to lock in place whilst tightening the nuts however these are tight :shock:

Any ideas :?

Thanks for the replies so far.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Have you got the oversize washer fitted between the nut and the actuating arm ? (The oblong thing) It is like a penny washer and holds the arm on the ball guide.

It is part number 26 in the diagram

http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/shop/ ... t750clutch

Kev
chrispyduck

Post by chrispyduck »

Kev yes it is No26 in the diagram and that is there however it falls out of place as there is so much space. Its like the whole assembly needs tightening however both the nuts on the end of the shaft are tight.

when i put a spanner on the nut it turns the shaft so tried locking the shaft with a screw driver in the slotted end but it is tight. not sure where the sudden play has come from :shock:
750dunc

Post by 750dunc »

Have got a photo of it. I have a few of the actuating arms all of different width, how wide is your opening and how wide is the cam it sits on.
chrispyduck

Post by chrispyduck »

not got a photo yet but i can't see how the actuating arm has changed. i believe the correct dimensions are on this bike.
could anything else of happened that has led to large amount of movement in the shaft???