Loom Repair - Any tips?

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Re: Loom Repair - Any tips?

Post by Waterbuffalo »

The issues I came across was if the harness sat in the sun on a bike with the tank off. Those exposed wires faded and got brittle on the sheathing so I looked for decent ones on Ebay to buy that were from bikes that were stored out of the sun or had the tank and side panels on. Back in those days (a few years ago0, you could get a complete electrical panel and harness for around $30.00, but certainly not now.
There were only two harnesses, one for the 72 and 73 models, and one for the 74 to 77 models. The gear indicator harness for 74 to 77 bikes was separate from the main harness so can't be considered part of the main loom.
In 74 they had colour supply issues and a few harnesses were sent out with tags denoting the correct colour on wires of incorrect colour. These tags fell off and made things a nightmare for persons checking wires later on in the bikes lifespan. Suzuki had a service bulletin about this.
Besides this, the harnesses were not built to a standard and many were designed with longer wires or the wrong gauge wires in various areas for no reason. Taking out excess wire lengths is a common issue I've also had to do on the ones I've restored/upgraded.
Thanks for your comment on my work Teaser.
IMG_1876.JPG
Here's two rear harnesses for the 750, before I pull them apart check how much longer the top one is in the rear section by the electrical panel connectors.
Two strokes, its just that simple.