Loom Repair - Any tips?

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
RichardsMorphy

Loom Repair - Any tips?

Post by RichardsMorphy »

I've brought the looms for the bike back to Cambridge to have a good look at and see what needs doing. I'm going to have to strip the connector blocks down as the spades look like they need a good clean and a couple of the blocks are cracked and/or broken so will need replacing. I thought I'd replace the 3 yellow wires, (generator?), while I'm here, they're not as good as the thinner wires and look relatively easy to replace.
Overall, the wiring isn't too bad, the wires themselves still feel nice and pliable, most of the soft see-through shrouds are good and I've only got a couple of wires with the obligatory hard plastic DIY crimp repair jobs, mainly a light green wire and a black, (horn? neutral switch?)........and some "bodgery" to the headlamp wires :roll:

A couple of things I could do with help with, 'any tips for a tool to remove the small spades from the blocks? I've always used one of those cheap "jewellers" screwdrivers but wondered if there was something more appropriate?

Also, 'any ingenious ways to clean the spade and bullet connectors in the see through shrouds, I normally would use something like GT85, again, is there something better that won't degrade the plastic.

Is there a specific type of tape to wrap the loom? I've seen something mentioned elsewhere and just wondered?? It would make sense to use a tape that doesn't have too much adhesive at the edges so I thought may be possible :?

Sleeving - anyone found the exact same sized sleeving?

TIA, Drew.

Some pics to show condition:-
Attachments
P1010028.JPG
P1010027.JPG
P1010022.JPG
P1010021.JPG
P1010020.JPG
P1010019.JPG
P1010018.JPG
P1010017.JPG
P1010016.JPG
Drew. '75 GT750M
RichardsMorphy

Re: Loom Repair - Any tips?

Post by RichardsMorphy »

......well I've learnt at least one thing today:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIAMOND-COAT ... SwzaJX4TNY

I've always used a somewhat kack-handed way to remove these terminals - pushing the tang in while pulling the wire from the bottom :oops:

Anyone used these?
Drew. '75 GT750M
itsnotateapot

Post by itsnotateapot »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Amalgam ... SwYIxX5QAI
this stuff is good for re-taping your loom
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

itsnotateapot wrote:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Amalgam ... SwYIxX5QAI
this stuff is good for re-taping your loom
That's a suspiciously helpful response from you Richard. What are you up to? :lol:
KETTLE BOY

Post by KETTLE BOY »

You will need a piece of paper and a pen.. Do a small drawing of where the wires go into the plastic plug, or use your mobile phone and tak photos, before you start... then once removed you can clean the plug, and check the lug.. Over time stuck in the same position, the Sleeving can get stiff and crack, so ksome heat along the Sleeving, then with some small scissors cut along the heated part of the Sleeving.. Will come away easy... :D
GT750 J 1972
GT750 L 1974
Z900 A4 1976
ZZR1100. 1998
Breville Sandwich Maker
I'm never wrong.. Once I thought I was, but I was mistaken.

barney01

Post by barney01 »

I used this loom tape lovely and original looking stuff.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-car-v ... 1a39bc543b
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
RichardsMorphy

Post by RichardsMorphy »

Those clear cable-ties with the ends clipped off in my pics - are they original?

That tape looks good Barney but, unlike what I'd normally do, I'm trying to stick to as original as possible without going mental on this bike.

Kettle boy, I took photos of all the block wiring, digital cameras changed everything for me, before, I'd have loads of scraps of oily paper with various illegible diagrams on :D

I've been looking at the price of the connector blocks and found I could probably pick up a NOS loom for what it would cost to change them all :roll: 'Shame really, just having a couple of new ones will look a bit odd alongside the old yellowing blocks :(
Drew. '75 GT750M
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

My 2c is, unless the loom looks pretty good and just a couple of fixes will have you confident all is well, I'd shell out for NOS while still available. Its so central to the good functioning of the bike, and there are many places where connections can degrade, not always with it being visibly obvious, its not clear its a saving to fix rather than replace. I don't want to be a damper, though, as it is fun to fix. Your time and money, your bike, your call!
For male bullets, I used a brass brush in a Dremel, brings them up like new, but hold the bullet tight as you do it. For female bullets, a little roll of 400g abrasive paper does the trick. Female block connectors, also a little slip of 400g paper slid in and out (oo er missus). Male block connector pins are a pain, unless you withdraw the latches and extract them on their wires.
Mike
RichardsMorphy

Post by RichardsMorphy »

Makes sense Mike......but I'm trying hard not to spend more than the bike's worth and have yet to see a new loom within my budget :( The wires aren't too bad on mine and I've yet to have a good look around for cheaper original connector blocks. With new sleeving and tape they'll look a lot better on the bike.
Theres also a seller on Yahoo Japan that makes looms to order using original parts where possible. According to his ad, he sells the GT loom for £140. As long as they're as good as his photos, that's not too bad. The old loom can always stay with the bike if anyone wants to put it back to original.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w177769879

Description translates:-

We made a new main harness reinforced mold for GT 750. It is a set of before and after. If you can see the photos, we do not have any special rubber parts. Please inform me of model or body number. In case of the initial part number 36610-31000, the harness of the sample is required. Wiring is genuine color, wiring is thicker than genuine. It is safe because the electrical system will stabilize. Because it is handmade one by one by our artisan, so many can not be produced. Please take this opportunity. Although it is a new article, I need your help by a no claim and a no return. Please note that it may take some days until shipping. If you can also request other types of cars etc, I'd like to send it out little by little. Thank you
Drew. '75 GT750M
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Gut it down, remove the crap, rebuild it properly as it should have been done in the first place. These things were built cheaply to a price, upgrading them is a plus for better performance.
IMG_1080.JPG
Typical scrap harness after untaping.
IMG_2702.JPG
What I keep from the front half after cleaning and inspection.
IMG_1083.JPG
The bag on the left is the wires to be reused, the one on the right is the junk I will upgrade.
IMG_1092.JPG
New alternator electrical loop wiring with larger gauge wires.
IMG_2703.JPG
Upgraded front wire harness, now rebuilt.
IMG_1085.JPG
Completed harnesses.
Points harness 2.JPG
Rebuilt points wire harness, four pin connector block will be added once its fitted.
GT 750 alternator 6.JPG
Restored alternator with new larger yellow gauge phase wires,larger gauge green wire, new sheathing etc.
GT750 gear indicator harness restored 1.JPG
Rebuilt gear selector harness.
GT750 rectifier restored 1.JPG
Rebuilt rectifier also with larger gauge wires.
Last edited by Waterbuffalo on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Two strokes, its just that simple.