Painting over chrome

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
TR750

Painting over chrome

Post by TR750 »

I am looking to have a set of paintwork done and want the headlight bowl and brackets to be colour matched to the rest of the paintwork but the ones I have are chrome plated. Just wondered if anyone had any experience of trying to remove the chrome or successfully painting over it?
Alan H

Re: Painting over chrome

Post by Alan H »

You can either get it shot blasted or take it to a chromers and they will get the chrome off for you.
Otherwise, there's plenty of headlamp bowls about - or you can get a new complete Honda one (or similar) for not a lot of money as you are obviously a man of taste that doesn't give a toss about originality.
Smart guy.
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif (2.32 KiB) Viewed 477 times
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
RichardsMorphy

Post by RichardsMorphy »

I've used sulphuric acid to remove chrome and it works.....but it's messy and you have to be careful you don't damage the steel. I've painted on chrome that's been rubbed down with wet & dry and then coated with a decent Etch Primer with good results. For a headlamp, prepare the edges on the inside rim well - this is where it can peel back if not done right.
Drew. '75 GT750M
TR750

Post by TR750 »

Hi guys, thanks for the reply's, I was hoping to try and do something myself to try and save some time and money but like most things I guess some things are best left to the professionals. Dropped them off today at a chrome plater to be stripped back and will take a week and £30...lets hope there's some metal left after the acid bath :roll: