What a difference that made

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

What a difference that made

Post by Waterbuffalo »

After testing out the new master cylinder I can say that part alone makes a world of difference to the way the whole system functions. Not that I doubted it would improve anything but the difference is quite a drastic change. Now I've got to push ahead with the new stainless hoses and a different style of splitter as the next part of the changes/upgrades.
Two strokes, its just that simple.
swarrans

Re: What a difference that made

Post by swarrans »

Is there a reason you will still use a splitter rather than long lines direct from the master cylinder (which seems to be the way a lot of the upgrade kits do it). Looks perhaps?
Has the MC given you more braking power or feel or both?

Thx. Simon
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

I prefer the least amount of hose length run as possible, so for me its a single piece to the splitter and then two separate lengths of hose from just under the triple tree to the calipers. The splitter I will use is from bikes like the GS650/850 etc which is no more than a short piece of threaded tube with banjos facing into each other and a mounting ear, so its a minimal piece and it will still somewhat retain a stock routing appearance.
I have all three types of hose routing on various bikes, the one with two hoses from the master to the calipers, the ones with a hose from the master to one caliper and a loop over the fender to the other caliper, as well as one hose to the splitter and then two separate hoses from the splitter to each caliper. Some of those I got the bikes that way and eventually I will change them to the splitter type as the hoses drag about when you turn since there's no effective way to securing them unless you add a loop to the lower tree to guide them.
I prefer to see one hose leaving the master cylinder as a matter of aesthetics so that's the route I choose, your preferences will vary.

The upgrade is a massive improvement, the feedback at the lever is strong yet progressive, its a whole different world of brakes. A lot is going on here, fulcrum points are different to the stock cylinder and lever design allows for a better reach and grip of the lever. Its actually possible to bottom the forks with a hard brake and not use more than two fingers on the lever. I know how well these master cylinders work as I have added them onto my three MK1 Suzuki Bandits for many years now. The upgrade to better lines will sharpen things up even more as the next step to improving feedback feel, all the while getting ride of the bulky unions, pieces of hose and clunky banjos.
Venhill are the people for DOT approved stainless lines and fittings, the highest quality you can get and they are reasonably priced. What I do is buy the angle of end fittings I will need first and put them on the cylinder and calipers, now I can precisely measure the exact hose lengths I need and buy them, simple as it could ever be for a clean custom job.
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

Many thanks that makes sense.

Simon
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Two more Ebay candidates I recently got, now ready for restoration. One was $22.00 and the other $28.00 both with free shipping. Ebay is indeed a wonderful place if you know where to look.
IMG_2254.JPG
IMG_2258.JPG
IMG_2259.JPG