Kettle crankcase bolts

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
klektermaniac

Kettle crankcase bolts

Post by klektermaniac »

Hello Folks,
Well after being totally out of sorts with a winter bug for the best part of four weeks, I am now returning to THE shed!
Does anyone do a full set of preferably stainless crankcase bolts - ie the ones that hold the two halves together? Everybody does the bolts for the covers on ebay, but cannot see the ones I need.
Could use the old ones with a good clean, but in for a penny and all that.
RogerH.
Alan H

Re: Kettle crankcase bolts

Post by Alan H »

Clean them and have them re-zinc plated.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Roger,
+1 what Alan said. Also, most if not all have the Suzuki 'S' stamped on their heads. Not only does this mean they are of a particular strength needed in the application, but many people consider them valuable (I know I do!).
Cheers,
Mike
klektermaniac

Post by klektermaniac »

Well they do have the 'S' on the heads so I suppose they are worth keeping, just makes a little more work for me to do.
Thanks for the relies.
RogerH.
mutisnuts74

Post by mutisnuts74 »

All stainless capheads used on my bike and no trouble
teazer

Post by teazer »

I usually clean the bolts and have then replated with bright zinc. Make sure to dress up any slight burrs left by spanner wielding monkeys as well as wire brushing off any rust. Fortunately I inherited a few spare sets a couple of years ago and have them in stock ready to rebuild the next motor - there is always a next motor!

For side covers I prefer stainless cap heads because I don't do stock restorations if I can avoid it. On race bikes I'll use aluminum cap screws on side covers and if your budget is bottomless or have a Christmas bonus that needs a good home, BDK will sell you a complete set of Titanium bolts. I have a set here and they look too nice to be used on a motor where no-one will see them, so maybe I'll have the framed. :D