Shock top mount repair

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
silentjewel

Shock top mount repair

Post by silentjewel »

Hi the right shocker top mount on my Kettle has sheared off and been repaired by welding an M12 bolt to the frame.

I saw a repair solution but can’t remember where.

Someone had drilled the frame and machined a bolt to pass through and mount the shocker.

Does anyone know who it was?
itsnotateapot

Re: Shock top mount repair

Post by itsnotateapot »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GT750 ... 2254381025

Ian (Astrax) on this forum sells them. ;)
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
astrax

Post by astrax »

itsnotateapot wrote:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GT750 ... 2254381025

Ian (Astrax) on this forum sells them. ;)
Thanks for the mention
Only have 2 shock mounts listed on eBay, but have about 10 left, happy to sell 1 or 2 if you needed any, just give me a shout.

Ian.
widget

Post by widget »

how are originals fixed to the bike?....is there a bush welded to the frame that the mount goes through which is then welded to the bush, (iyswim) which can be ground off and a new mount fitted..........or are they welded directly to the frame, and you have to grind the weld off the back to get it out...
astrax

Post by astrax »

widget wrote:how are originals fixed to the bike?....is there a bush welded to the frame that the mount goes through which is then welded to the bush, (iyswim) which can be ground off and a new mount fitted..........or are they welded directly to the frame, and you have to grind the weld off the back to get it out...
Hi Widget
You need to grind the welds off as the shaft is welded to the frame, can be a bit of a pain, the ones I sell on eBay are similar shape to the originals, both inside the frame as well as the bit that you can see

I cut mine out quite a few years ago as the threads were damaged, but did make a modification so the mounts can easily be removed in the future if they ever get damaged again.

Both the frame and swinging arm mounts were cut out and have stainless inserts welded on with 3 or 4 tapped holes so the stainless shock mount pushes in and then gets bolted .

Good way to use up quite a few hours, unlikely to be doing it to my other kettle.
Attachments
shock_mount2.jpg
00002.jpg
00186.jpg
00181.jpg
widget

Post by widget »

That’s nicely done..

Sort of what I was looking at doing to a frame I have to sort out ... will probably be a weld in job, can’t be a***d with the inserts.