Top Half Crankcase

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Tino996

Top Half Crankcase

Post by Tino996 »

Hi again to you all, having purchased this 750 where the chain had previously snapped and has put quite a large hole in the top casing, I have the engine split anyway for refurbishment, and I’m wondering about fitting a different top half crankcase (same era) as a remedy. Would there be problems in doing this, re alignment and sealing etc?
Thank
Martyn.
PaulD738

Re: Top Half Crankcase

Post by PaulD738 »

I think your going to have to buy a complete crankcase as they where machined as a matching pair in the factory. It’s unlikely that a different half would mate up correctly.
If you want to keep your original engine number you should be able to have yours repaired.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Ideally you would want to keep both halves of the clam as original as they have lived together for over forty years but, by necessity, I have used differing halves on three of my bikes and have encountered no problems. Kev
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

Get it welded.
Tino996

Post by Tino996 »

Thanks for your thoughts chaps. There is not much history with the bike, so I don’t know if it’s the original engine, or not! Probably not, upon stripping the engine, I found various problems, so I think it’s been apart many times, and not put back together very well either!!
I do have another top half, so I’ll see how it fits together. Not too sure how I will know tho! Until startup!
Also not sure if the original can be welded, it’s quite a large gap, 60mm x15mm. A plate/cover welded over, might look odd.
Cheers
Martyn.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

It looks like the first two digits of this engine crankcase set is 47 which would make it right for a 74L. Have a chat with the seller

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GT750 ... 0009.m1982

Kev
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

Tino996 wrote:Thanks for your thoughts chaps. There is not much history with the bike, so I don’t know if it’s the original engine, or not! Probably not, upon stripping the engine, I found various problems, so I think it’s been apart many times, and not put back together very well either!!
I do have another top half, so I’ll see how it fits together. Not too sure how I will know tho! Until startup!
Also not sure if the original can be welded, it’s quite a large gap, 60mm x15mm. A plate/cover welded over, might look odd.
Cheers
Martyn.
That's only a pinhole :)