Ignition timing GT 750 M

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Filly

Ignition timing GT 750 M

Post by Filly »

Hello everyone, with a lot of effort but with a lot of passion I'm reassembling the engine and are struggling with the timing of ignition. before taking the engine apart I took a picture of the stator plate to remember roughly how it was mounted. From the picture you can see that the mark of the left cylinder is on the mark of the cranckcase but the points of the right cylinder are open !!!!! How is it possible? I bought the bike without having had the chance to try it so I have no idea if it went well or badly. At this point I need to understand with your advice how to proceed to make the timing correctly. can you kindly help me? Thanks in advance.https://imgur.com/IaQrJBt
Alan H

Re: Ignition timing GT 750 M

Post by Alan H »

The plug fires as the points open, not when they are 'very' open.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Filly wrote:Hello everyone, with a lot of effort but with a lot of passion I'm reassembling the engine and are struggling with the timing of ignition. before taking the engine apart I took a picture of the stator plate to remember roughly how it was mounted. From the picture you can see that the mark of the left cylinder is on the mark of the cranckcase but the points of the right cylinder are open !!!!! How is it possible? I bought the bike without having had the chance to try it so I have no idea if it went well or badly. At this point I need to understand with your advice how to proceed to make the timing correctly. can you kindly help me? Thanks in advance.https://imgur.com/IaQrJBt
?this may help

http://mc.grenasberg.no/2016/06/26/timing-adjustments/
teazer

Post by teazer »

I have a big bag of those things that came with the last van load of used parts I picked up. Never did work out why anyone uses them. :P

All kidding aside, yes, the way the system works is that when the points are closed, charge builds in the coils and as the points crack open, that energy is discharged. The cam is shaped that way so that the points stay open for a long time. One reason is that they only need to be closed for a certain amount of time and any longer the coils overheat.

You set the points GAP when they are fully open and TIMING just as they break contact. There are many ways to see when the points open. A simple way is to lay the plugs on the cylinder head and listen to the "crack", but don't leave the ignition on for too long when the engine isn't running. Others use timing lights and buzzers and old transistor radios tuned off station.

Or fit an electronic system and fit and forget. ;)
hardrider

Post by hardrider »

is there an article for the gt550 timing
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Isn't the internet a wonderful thing. This is as much as you need. Kev

http://www.suzuki2strokes.com/forum/vie ... p?p=100237
Filly

Post by Filly »

Thank you so much for all the information you gave me. Now I have to read carefully and do a good job of tuning. I am left with a doubt that, as you have noticed from the photo, the plate is at the limit of the sliding slots. Thanks again to everyone.
hardrider

Post by hardrider »

great information thanks
malky

Post by malky »

That seems to happen to me every time I set the timing -it's almost as if they put the slots in the wrong position at the factory .
Mal.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Filly,
As Malky says, the slots often are not quite long enough. There is a relationship between points gap size and the ease with which you can set the timing within the slots movement. So try closing the points half a tad and retiming. Or, take the back plate off and lengthen the slots! I did that, worked a treat on my old GT380 way back when (before I worked it out).
Mike