Delkevic exhaust

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
shunter

Delkevic exhaust

Post by shunter »

I have recently just fitted a Delkevic exhaust on my kettle, I thought it came with all necessary gaskets but found out the three from the barrels are not included, my engine had been recently rebuilt and the gaskets that I took off looked fine so I used them again and all seemed well on start up I could feel no blowing or see any smoke, i took her a spin on Sunday and when I came back the two outer pipes had oil running down them, I will get new gaskets but should I also use some heat resistant silicone or should new gaskets be enough.
barney01

Re: Delkevic exhaust

Post by barney01 »

IMHO i would never re use manifold gaskets as they are designed to crush to make the seal. I would guess your standard pipes go closer to the barrell than your new ones therefore they didnt seal properly.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
shunter

Post by shunter »

Thanks Barney I totally agree with you and would normally never reuse gaskets but a combination of them looking like new plus excitement of the new exhaust but more importantly not having any new ones made me do it.
JNNNGS

Post by JNNNGS »

As an aside, how do the Delkevics sound / perform vs. original pipes?

Paul.
shunter

Post by shunter »

I did not notice any difference in performance, as for sound my old exhaust sounded better in my opinion this one is very quiet. I don't know if it has wadding on the baffles I think there may be.
malky

Post by malky »

Got them on the bottom pipes only on mine can't say they are any different to the originals - the early ones were a lot more tinny sounding than the ones that they supply today I think they have put the acoustic baffles in now
Mal.
shunter

Post by shunter »

Thats probably what it is as I remember seeing the clip Baz put up with both sets of exhausts, I didn't know that they had altered them also my old pipes had a few wee holes underneath that would amplify the noise a bit. Is the verdict gaskets only no need for any other seal at the barrels
itsnotateapot

Post by itsnotateapot »

shunter wrote:Thats probably what it is as I remember seeing the clip Baz put up with both sets of exhausts, I didn't know that they had altered them also my old pipes had a few wee holes underneath that would amplify the noise a bit. Is the verdict gaskets only no need for any other seal at the barrels
When the exhausts are bolted up make sure the collers are not touching the barrels, if they are unscrew them a few turns away from the barrels. there should be a 2 or 3mm gap when bolted up, this allows the exhaust gasket to compress properly.
Richard
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
shunter

Post by shunter »

Thats great thanks for all the help I will try again at the weekend.
shunter

Post by shunter »

I have good news to report,I removed the exhaust and fitted new gaskets reset the flanges and took her a spin, no leakage of oil at all now once again many thanks for everyone's help.