Water pump drive shaft

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
klektermaniac

Water pump drive shaft

Post by klektermaniac »

Hello All,
On the GT750 water pump horizontal drive shaft, can the bearing between the two worm gears be replaced, and if so how is it done?
The end one is easy enough to replace, but do not wish to go at the other one like a bull in a china shop and damage swomething.

RogerH.
klektermaniac

Re: Water pump drive shaft

Post by klektermaniac »

WOW, I bet the tumbleweed is blowing about out there!!!!! Not a sniff.

Surely someone has done this during their engine refurb

RogerH.
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi, never played with my motor, other people have though, sorry I can't help you...send Baz a pm (personal message)
strange that no one else has replied to you by now :tw
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
itsnotateapot

Post by itsnotateapot »

SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
teazer

Post by teazer »

The shaft complete with bearings and skew gears is sold as an assembly, but IIRC, the left gear is pressed on and can be pressed off to get to that inner bearing.
klektermaniac

Post by klektermaniac »

I was assuming the gear could be pulled of (thanks teaser) but was also assuming it would be hardened and therefore on the brittle side. I will find a puller to suit and maybe put a little heat on at the same time and hope something moves. Unfortunately the bearing trapped in the middle is really worn so I would not feel happy putting it back as it is.
Thanks guys.
RogerH.
teazer

Post by teazer »

If the bearing is bad, I figure that you have nothing to lose by trying. The gear will be hard to remove so think about who you know with a hydraulic press. It won't take as much power as removing pressed on gears from transmission shafts, but may be a little too much for the average bearing puller. If you have a decent puller that will pull it off with threaded pulling rods, it might be enough to get it off, but don't ruin a good puller if it's really tight.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/98 ... Puller-Set that might work but the center hole will be a little large for the gear. It may pull the bearing and gear off together though.