Removing F/Wheel on an 'A'?

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
sprint

Removing F/Wheel on an 'A'?

Post by sprint »

When I first got my 750A I decided to fit some gaiters.

Thought that i would be a straightforward process, remove the calipers, pull the front wheel out, remove the m/guard and then drop the fork tubes out.

Well removing the calipers was straightforward then it went down hill. Could not get the wheel out as the std brake hoses foul even if you deflate the tyre. No with the wheel in the way I had to bugger about trying to remove the mudguard with the wheel in the way and the brake hoses making life difficult. Swore that I would scrap the bike the next time the front wheel had to come out!

Well one of the seals has gone so I am now faced with having to go through this process again.

So my question is, is there a simpler way to get the f/wheel out, with the std brake hoses, without having to take the mudguard off first to get the hoses out of the way to remove the wheel?

Thanks

Andy
Roger Ackery

Re: Removing F/Wheel on an 'A'?

Post by Roger Ackery »

:evil: Andy your right, not the easiest job :idea: I've always taken my mudguard off to fit tyres,OK when you have something to lift the front off the ground :roll:
I'd hate to try it at the side off the road to fix a flat :twisted:
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
2strokejohnny

Post by 2strokejohnny »

Hi Andy
rtm,2sj
Suzuki GT750B
Suzuki GT750K
Triumph T100 Unit Bonny
shunter

Post by shunter »

I took my A front wheel off without removing the mudguard, calipers off spindle out I did deflate the tyre and it was tight I remember it well as I jammed my finger between the mudguard and tyre and thought I wasn't going to get it out but it is possible and I would think taking the mudguard off is the better option.
sprint

Post by sprint »

Thanks for the replies.

I have also received a suggestion that one has to remove the brake hose protection metal covers and slide back the brake hose protection rubbers which will then allow the hoses to be moved out of the way (which is why I could not get the wheel out before without having to remove the m/guard etc before OI could get the wheel out).

Will see how I get on this time.

Andy
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

8-) Hi Andy,yes remove the retaining plates as well for the brake hoses, then it's pretty straight forward to get the wheel out.
I take my bike to a mates garage,hoist it up in the air then lower the bike on its centre stand down on to 2 blocks of wood, gets the front elevated to a suitable level ;) also puts the rear wheel at a nice height if its coming out as well ;)
I also check the front calipers while I'm there, pads releasing as they should & for wear :idea:
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.