750A exhaust gaskets

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
shunter

750A exhaust gaskets

Post by shunter »

I thought I had solved my leaking exhaust problems as the oil has stopped running down my new pipes but have noticed it is now spraying on to the front of the engine from left hand pipe, it's not really bad but annoying as you then have to wipe it off after every ride, the centre one seems fine and rhs a tiny weep. I used the fibre type gasket non genuine ones but just wanted to know if the copper ones were better or bite the bullet and buy genuine suzuki ones or take the exhaust off again and try again.
2strokejohnny

Re: 750A exhaust gaskets

Post by 2strokejohnny »

i just any old repro gaskets with some gasket sealer and works fine,tip is don't screw the collars so they are tight to the barrels leave about a 5mm gap ish,2sj
Suzuki GT750B
Suzuki GT750K
Triumph T100 Unit Bonny
senicoli

Post by senicoli »

shunter wrote:I thought I had solved my leaking exhaust problems as the oil has stopped running down my new pipes but have noticed it is now spraying on to the front of the engine from left hand pipe, it's not really bad but annoying as you then have to wipe it off after every ride, the centre one seems fine and rhs a tiny weep. I used the fibre type gasket non genuine ones but just wanted to know if the copper ones were better or bite the bullet and buy genuine suzuki ones or take the exhaust off again and try again.
just put delkevics on and used the copper ones no oil leaks but a slight blow on right hand cylinder had got the collar touching the manifold adjusted collar to gap as 2SJ said retightened no problems :) ;) colin
shunter

Post by shunter »

Thanks, yes I did have readjust the collars but still getting a leak but to be fair I did not put any sealant on that should help. I have just noticed it is also leaking oil from the joint underneath the engine is that normal. I know my off road bikes always had leaks from the joints.
senicoli

Post by senicoli »

shunter wrote:Thanks, yes I did have readjust the collars but still getting a leak but to be fair I did not put any sealant on that should help. I have just noticed it is also leaking oil from the joint underneath the engine is that normal. I know my off road bikes always had leaks from the joints.
with the old pipes on if I had my head underneath having a check round I would see a smear or a streak of oil on the bottom joints but not enough to cause an actual drip I must admit I have not checked if the new pipe joints do it but no oil drips on the floor :) ;) colin
shunter

Post by shunter »

No I have No drips on the floor either just around the joint I am doing fork seals today so will have another look when I have the bike outside in the light.
senicoli

Post by senicoli »

shunter wrote:No I have No drips on the floor either just around the joint I am doing fork seals today so will have another look when I have the bike outside in the light.
did 70 mile on the kettle yesterday gave it a bit of a thrashing had a look at the bottom pipe joints when I got back couple of oil streaks and smears but nothing of concern presume they all do it colin :) ;)
shunter

Post by shunter »

Thanks Colin that is good to hear it's not just mine that are doing it, I have probably done 300 miles since fitting the new exhaust and only just looked underneath when I was cleaning the exhaust.
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

;) Hi, the pipes shouldn't leak from anywhere !
once the exhaust port gaskets are crushed they won't seal properly :cry: the 2 orange seals for the lower pipes also shouln't leak if the pipes are fitted together correctly,the centre header pipe should be left slightly loose whilst you line the lower pipes up & tighten the 2 clamps over the seals,then tighten the header pipe to the engine.
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
senicoli

Post by senicoli »

Roger Ackery wrote:;) Hi, the pipes shouldn't leak from anywhere !
once the exhaust port gaskets are crushed they won't seal properly :cry: the 2 orange seals for the lower pipes also shouln't leak if the pipes are fitted together correctly,the centre header pipe should be left slightly loose whilst you line the lower pipes up & tighten the 2 clamps over the seals,then tighten the header pipe to the engine.
thats exactly how I did it roger and still have the slightest of leaks for the tiny amount a very light smear after a 70 mile thrash I can live with it plus a bit of oil under there stops rust :) ;) colin