Multi connectors

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
klektermaniac

Multi connectors

Post by klektermaniac »

Hello All,
Suzuki GT750J. I know this has been covered before somewhere but I just cannot seem to find it.

How do you take apart the wiring harness multi-pin connectors? I need to remove the pins for re-wiring starting with the alternator plug, and don't want to charge in with a sledge hammer and ruin them. I seem to remember something about sliding a thin tool down somewhere or other and releasing the pins, but I need reminding.

If they are not repairable does anyone still supply these plugs?

RogerH.
PaulD738

Re: Multi connectors

Post by PaulD738 »

It can be done, I even spent £30 on a “proper” tool to do the job with but all I managed to do was stab myself quite severely in the hand several times before I gave up :o
Alan will be along shortly to explain where I went wrong and extract the wazz too I should imagine :roll:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
barney01

Post by barney01 »

This may help you.
https://youtu.be/RQjIE8m2sQs
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I made a 'tool' to do that from an old hacksaw blade suitably ground on the wheel and linisher and does the job just fine.
Paul kept stabbing himself due to the fact that he's a gret clumsy waggin diving wazzock. :roll:
He's ok really though...... :lol:

Remember to open the retaining bit when replacing the connectors otherwise they'll just push out when you try to reconnect the 2 parts of the harness.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
klektermaniac

Post by klektermaniac »

Hi Guys,
I too can be a great clumsy git - something I do quite well really!

Is there an illustration/breakdown of the workings of these blocks anywhere? It would help if I knew what I was trying to achieve inside with the tool.

RogerH.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Look at the connectors. They have a tab on the top sticking up. This prevents the con nectar pulling out of the block when it's pushed in. To remove the connector simply push a mini screwdriver into the end of the block push down the tab and pull it out.
Attachments
3_way_mtw_japanese_motorcycle_connector.JPG
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
klektermaniac

Post by klektermaniac »

That was actually very easy as I thought I would be breaking everything. The connector was full of muck and grease but some strong soapy water soon removed it. Bit fiddly removing the old wires from the terminals, but a good job done!

Does anyone still supply this exact type as fitted to the Kettle? I have some more to do and a couple of the blocks have small splits/cracks, although I could but some heat shrink around them to hide the cracks and give a little more strength.

Thanks for the replies,
RogerH.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Here's one that I've used and can recommend
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GT-250- ... =R40&rt=nc
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE