Anyone fitted a new regulator/rectifier unit?

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
verminator

Anyone fitted a new regulator/rectifier unit?

Post by verminator »

I bought a new regulator/rectifier unit from M&P. They assured me on the phone that the unit I bought would fit straight onto my 76 kettle. The holes were miles out. Has anyone else fitted one of these, did you perhaps have to make up a mounting plate for it?
stevewharton

Re: Anyone fitted a new regulator/rectifier unit?

Post by stevewharton »

Yep I fitted an R77 combined unit to my 76A about 10/15 years ago and it's not missed a beat. I fitted it with the help of Andy Ward (member on here) who'd already fitted one to his kettle, so a bit vague after all this time as to how easy/diificult it was.
Anyway just had a quick look and it looks like (a bit difficult to see) the right side mounting hole on the unit is bolted onto the original mounting bracket and the left side hole on the unit has needed a new hole drilled in the mounting bracket to suit.
Hope this helps and perhaps Andy can confirm?
Cheers, Steve W.
P.S. rubber washers between the unit and bracket to prevent vibration might be a good idea too.
Last edited by stevewharton on Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
verminator

Post by verminator »

One of the plugs on my old reg or rec, cant remember, but is a black and white wire which neither of the new plugs has but the new unit does have an earth wire coming from it so was wondering if that is in place of the black and white wire??? Do you know where you connected the new earth wire terminal on the new unit to? Apart from the actual holes not being spaced correctly, it looks like just a simple case of unplugging the old and plugging in the new.
BATTS

Post by BATTS »

I had to fit by using longer bolts and a stand off spacer, photo's not good but it gives general idea. It is important that the additional earth to the casing is made.
1392754392221.jpg
1392754392524.jpg
1392754390741.jpg
1392754390741.jpg (10.66 KiB) Viewed 563 times
Chris
76 GT750, 78 GT550, BMW K1600gtl
verminator

Post by verminator »

Great, thanks men.
wardy

Post by wardy »

stevewharton wrote:Yep I fitted an R77 combined unit to my 76A about 10/15 years ago and it's not missed a beat. I fitted it with the help of Andy Ward (member on here) who'd already fitted one to his kettle, so a bit vague after all this time as to how easy/diificult it was.
Anyway just had a quick look and it looks like (a bit difficult to see) the right side mounting hole on the unit is bolted onto the original mounting bracket and the left side hole on the unit has needed a new hole drilled in the mounting bracket to suit.
Hope this helps and perhaps Andy can confirm?
Cheers, Steve W.
P.S. rubber washers between the unit and bracket to prevent vibration might be a good idea too.
I also fitted one of these to mine around the time I helped Steve with his. never had a problem since; highly recommended, but , from memory I used one of the fixing holes and made a small bracket for the other one to alighn.. So long ago now.
Andy;
1976 gt750A; 86 FZ750
1977gt380A
1982 z400j
1981 z650f.....1988 Sufolk punch 14"
"look;it's my bike; when you own it ,you can paint it any colour you like!"
(I once painted my Z650 PINK and had the pink panther logo on the tailpiece)
verminator

Post by verminator »

Actually made up a mounting bracket and fitted it. First time I took the old girl up to 5k rpm...BANG blue the main in line fuse. Put a meter on it and looks like the regulator part isn't doing it's job as even at 4k rpm it was reading 16 volts. I believe it should be reading about 14.8. Put my old regulator back on and revs clean as a whistle right past 5k. Have sent it back as faulty. Will try a new one and see. Anyone else had a problem with one of these??
BATTS

Post by BATTS »

Hmm you've discovered the flaw with the RR77, on an old loom the voltage drop on the sensor wire (Orange switched live) fools the regulator into thinking the battery voltage is actually lower than it is in reality and it overcharges. I had that problem and at first, cured by running the sensor wire directly to the battery via a relay, eventually replaced the loom with a new one and that also cured it.
Rough diagram of relay wiring.
relay wiring.jpg
Chris
verminator

Post by verminator »

That sounds like a right load of faffing about and a real pain! Surely that makes the unit not fit for purpose?
Might just take a chance and buy an old standard regulator off Ebay.
Thanks Chris.
BATTS

Post by BATTS »

The only reason I used the RR77 was that there was that the previous "professional" restorer had fitted a triumph regulator, rectifier and coils!!!! and OEM replacements were expensive. I am a great believer in upgrading but the standard electric set up on these bikes is more than adequate and is adjustable. If you want an adjustable electronic version try Oregon electronics in US they have one.
http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/
Chris