2 stroke oil

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
klektermaniac

2 stroke oil

Post by klektermaniac »

Hello All,
Suzuki GT750J.
As I have never owned a two stroke before I was wondering if anyone could recommend the best two stroke oil to use. Are all modern oils much the same or are some much better than others?
Just about ready to prime the oil pump pipes and might as well use the correct oil from the start.
RogerH.
barney01

Re: 2 stroke oil

Post by barney01 »

Hi
Engine oil is a personal choice and there are three camps you can be in! Each camp usually have strong views. Firstly you have mineral oil then semi synthetic (mixture of mineral and synthetic) then there is Fully synthetic.
They provide differing values of protection . The choice is yours there is only one rule. Don't mix mineral oil and synthetic in the same tank as it causes something called 'glooping ' which is similar to clotting. Apart from that people just make a choice and stick with it.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

:idea: Hi,+1 with the "Above"
My choice for the last 16 years is Castrol fully synthetic 2T Castrol Racing,I'm probably spoiling the Old Girl :|Nothing wrong with mineral 2 stroke oil,was good enough back in the '70's
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Erm..... I think he was after two stroke oil & not gearbox oil?
Anyway, for two stroke I always used mineral in my Kettle (Rock oil Road) as my bike ran very rough on synthetic although I know some bikes run ok on semi synth. As for gearbox/clutch oil be wary of using car based oils as you may well end up with clutch problems. Again I used the recommended 20-50 mineral (Millers Classic)
Everybody will have their favourites but bear in mind these old dinosaurs are 45+ years old now and may not take kindly to modern oils.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Yes Paul i was talking about engine oil not transmission oil :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Putoline semi synth TT light in all mine.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

You know what Paul, your comment about running rough on non mineral oil has inspired me to try going back to mineral oil in my GT750. I changed to semi synthetic and as soon as I did I had a rough point at between 1,750 rpm and 2,500 - I didn't believe it could be down to oil (and it probably isn't still) but it's worth a try changing back

Simon
klektermaniac

Post by klektermaniac »

Hello Guys,
Thanks for all the information - as usual in this day and age it is more complicated than I thought! I will have to divulge it all and make a decision.
I have a local Miller Oil stockist so will use this one for the gearbox.

Thanks,
RogerH.
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

swarrans wrote:You know what Paul, your comment about running rough on non mineral oil has inspired me to try going back to mineral oil in my GT750. I changed to semi synthetic and as soon as I did I had a rough point at between 1,750 rpm and 2,500 - I didn't believe it could be down to oil (and it probably isn't still) but it's worth a try changing back

Simon
Hi,maybe something in this, :idea:
I've used Castrol TT Synthetic 2 stroke for 16 years, Just recently Castrol have changed the bottle label,Castrol have assured me that the Oil Formula has not changed,my GT750A used to vibrate at exactly the same RPM as Swarrans,after topping up the tank with the latest Castrol product it does seem smoother at the rev range mentioned above.
Could it be the atomisation of fuel & oil is now better in some way ;) I'm not an industrial Chemist,any other thoughts on this one?
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Roger Ackery wrote: I'm not an industrial Chemist,any other thoughts on this one?
I'm not a chemist either Roger and I agree with you. It's almost definitely (possibly) something or other. (Or not.) :geek:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated