Loss of power

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
paradox1559

Loss of power

Post by paradox1559 »

I've recently gotten a 1976 gt750, barn find running after 2 rounds of carb cleaning and some light electrical work. It runs just fine most of the time, however, sometimes it will lose all power until it dies. I can usually bring it back if I work the throttle just right, but I'm not sure what's causing it. I have an external fuel filter so I'm confident I don't have an obstruction. I'm about to seafoam it and see if that helps.
teazer

Re: Loss of power

Post by teazer »

Look at the fuel filler cap. Sounds like the breather holes in the cap are blocked so as teh gas comes out, it should be replaced by air. If it's blocked it creates a partial vacuum and fuel flow stops.

With an old cap, the seal isn't perfect, so it may allow enough air in as you sit juggling the throttle. Pull the cap off and check it out.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

You say you have cleaned the carbs thoroughly but have you cleaned the petcock filters and bowl too?
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
paradox1559

Post by paradox1559 »

I have cleaned the petcock, it's getting good flow. The tank is a bit rusty though, I have an inline filter at the moment to catch anything that may make it through. nothing has settled yet.

I will try running with the cap open and see if that makes a difference. I can't believe I didn't think of that before, as I've experienced this issue on other vehicles.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

The next time the power starts to go quickly put the petcock to prime as the diaphragm may be sticking so carb bowls could be running low
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
paradox1559

Post by paradox1559 »

Would it hurt if I put a regular on/off petcock on there? I tried the petcock trick before and it made no difference.

I've also tried riding with the cap open and that did nothing.

I'm about to clean the carbs again and reset the jets, if all else fails that is.
paradox1559

Post by paradox1559 »

Side note: my ignition switch is very loose, and takes some fancy turning techniques to make a connection. When it connects though it seems to stay on, but occasionally will lose continuity.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

You can fit another petcock but I think they work out expensive. I would deffo sort that ignition switch fault it could cartainly could be the problem
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1974-1977-SUZU ... 1011861320
Or
I've heard some people have used these
http://www.pingelonline.com/prodcat/fuel-valves.asp
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
paradox1559

Post by paradox1559 »

Can the key switch be rebuilt? It feels like the spring contacts are loose. It would probably work fine if I could bend them back.
teazer

Post by teazer »

paradox1559 wrote:Side note: my ignition switch is very loose, and takes some fancy turning techniques to make a connection. When it connects though it seems to stay on, but occasionally will lose continuity.

Sounds like the problem right there. I would think that you should be able to find a new one on ebay, but in the meantime, you could strip and clean it