Carburetor issue

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
joetlr

Carburetor issue

Post by joetlr »

Greetings, I’m the new owner of an abandoned 76 GT550. I just started getting the bits to hopefully get this bike back on the road. I’m starting with the carbs and as I’m breaking them down getting them ready for a rebuilt I noticed, what I believe are some air vent hoses with a T connection that connect from one carb to another. the plastic T connections are broken and I’m not able to replace the new hoses that are brittled and cracked. Any recommendations? See photo of fittings. Are these replaceable or am I gonna have to improvise? I’ve circled the small air vents clear hoses and T fittings in question.
Attachments
C2245B6A-DF72-46B5-AC51-D4787CF5EA6B.jpeg
barney01

Re: Carburetor issue

Post by barney01 »

Hi and welcome to the forum. Firstly it's a good idea to let us know roughly where you are. It may be pertinent for locating parts for you. Also why not put a picture of your bike, we love looking at bikes! :D
The T joints are difficult to locate, but I will have a search for you. The hoses are available here https://www.discountbikespares.co.uk/pr ... 550-gt380/
You may want to bookmark the site they are ultra reliable and no doubt you may need them again!
If you are replacing any internal jets etc a bit of advice don't go with Keyster stay with genuine Mikuni. Also BAZ on here offers a complete carb service including ultrasonic cleaning, the only true way to clean the not accessible internal passageways.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
joetlr

Post by joetlr »

Thanks for the reply barne01. I’m located in California but if I have to source parts from the other side of the pond it just mean “order 2” anyways I appreciate your help. I actually found hose to replace but the T fitting is what I’m needing. I guess I’m just gonna have to fabricate my own. When I got the bike it was a bit of a basket case, the PO had the carbs off so I’m having to make sense of how some of these parts go, with help of a shop manual.it’s obvious one side of the hose goes to the carb next to it but where it T’s where does the other hose go, does it just dangle for venting? I have a shop manual but it don’t show routing
And here’s the bike.
Attachments
858388E3-0B5E-4A79-909C-07B1EDBF95E8.jpeg
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

joetlr wrote:Thanks for the reply barne01. I’m located in California but if I have to source parts from the other side of the pond it just mean “order 2” anyways I appreciate your help. I actually found hose to replace but the T fitting is what I’m needing. I guess I’m just gonna have to fabricate my own. When I got the bike it was a bit of a basket case, the PO had the carbs off so I’m having to make sense of how some of these parts go, with help of a shop manual.it’s obvious one side of the hose goes to the carb next to it but where it T’s where does the other hose go, does it just dangle for venting? I have a shop manual but it don’t show routing
And here’s the bike.
Yes, there is a short length of hose off each T as a vent. Kev
joetlr

Post by joetlr »

Thanks Canaletto5. if anyone has some extra Carb T vents fittings or knows where to source them I would appreciate the lead(s).
barney01

Post by barney01 »

NO SMOKE .......NO POKE