GT750A Fuel Tap

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
GTNelly

GT750A Fuel Tap

Post by GTNelly »

Just re-commissioning my GT750A after a few years off the road and checking out the fuel tank and tap

I've noticed that both tube filters that connect to the fuel tap and go up inside the tank are split and need replacing

Know I can get new replacements for both but how do I fit them?

Is the filter that goes on the long tube just a push fit (I found the one that should be on there was loose in my tank!)

How do I remove (and fit the new) other one that fits in the fuel tap casting? Is it a push fit or is it glued in?

Also noticed that I'm missing the spacer that fits between the fuel tap and the tank

What's this for, does it just reduce the reserve capacity?

Many thanks!!
canaletto5

Re: GT750A Fuel Tap

Post by canaletto5 »

Hi

The filters are push fit, they just get stuck with age. They just need careful easing out/off

The A didn't have a spacer as far as I know but it depends on which tap you have. If it has a brass tube that is 50mm then you don't have a spacer. If it is 72mm then you do (Or cut down the tube to 50mm)

Kev
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

:) Hi,replaced my fuel tap on my A model kettle 2 weeks ago because it was leaking in the reserve position :cry: it was also missing the long filter, still floating around inside the tank.
The bike now seems to run better with the new tap...maybe it was staving a little for fuel :idea: ? with the old tap ? OR over delivery of fuel ?
Consumption is around 17km per litre,
ridden reasonabley....hard to do at times :lol: Cost of OEM Suzuki Tap $129 Aud
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
EvansWard

Post by EvansWard »

Thanks for that great info canaletto5 about whether to use the spacer or not with fuel petcock. I pulled mine to verify and followed your instruction. Much appreciated! 8-)
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV
1984 Yamaha RZ350
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Glad to help :) Kev
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Just thought I'd mention leaking fuel taps again,
if anybody is having one or more very wet baffles :idea: :arrow: check your fuel tap not shutting off in the "run" position.
Mine was leaking badly whilst on reserve externally, The left hand exhaust pipe was getting that bad that it was dropping oily sludge
On to the ground while bike was parked on its side stand :twisted:
All good after fitting the new tap 8-)
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.