Engine number location.

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
willowden

Engine number location.

Post by willowden »

Hi all, I have recently acquired what I believe to be a 1977 GT750B.
I think at sometime in its life the chain has snapped & caused some damage to the engine casing. Unfortunately only the beginning of the engine number can be seen.
Is the number located anywhere else ? If not , any ideas how I can find out what the number should be ?
Many thanks, Andy
Kettletimes3

Re: Engine number location.

Post by Kettletimes3 »

Unfortunately it’s the only place it’s marked. If you have the registration documents it will be on that.
willowden

Post by willowden »

Thanks, it was imported from Germany in 2016, the V5 just states , engine number unknown.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Hi Andy,
Is any part of the number present or just GT750...snapped off!?
If you've the first two numbers, you could possibly determine if it must be or cannot vs might be a B, because somewhere there is a listing of models and starting engine numbers.
Whats the frame number? its stamped in the headstock, down the right hand side. Obv, a motor can easily be changed, but if the frame is B and the bike has the look of being in one piece, that might help.
If you're a collector, having correct frame and engine for model makes a lot of difference (don't ask me how I learned this!) but its interesting to note that, by the middle of the A model, not a single nut or washer was changed on the motors, right through to the end of the last B model sold.
Cheers,
Mike

750B motors start: 82605 (frames start: 75739)
750A motors start: 67558 (mine is 81277 so is a very late A, reg 1977) (frames start: 61729...mine is 74168, again consistent with v late A)
willowden

Post by willowden »

Thanks for the info.
My frame number is GT75078182 so I am pretty certain it is a B model. It has a black headlight & ears with brown faced clocks.
I think it should have black side panels , but mine are painted the same red as the tank.
Unfortunately the only part of the engine number showing is GT !! This is dissapointing. Not sure I will ever be able to find out what the actual number should be.
Cheers.
teazer

Post by teazer »

Are the crankcases B style with the V shaped upper rear engine mount. That's the easiest way to identify an appropriate set of cases.

The missing part can be repaired with weld machined and stamped with a suitable number.
apwrigs

Post by apwrigs »

Hi Willowden,, if it's the same bike you've purchased as I think you have, i also asked a few questions to the seller. Me thinks he was withholding certain areas of the truth. His reply to me was " engine number not visible " and stated there was some minor damage here and there!!!!. Not a bad bike though, hope it turns out ok..