Baffled by broken baffle

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Johninreading

Baffled by broken baffle

Post by Johninreading »

I set out to replace the baffles in my GT550a 1976 silencers. Removed 3, but the 4th (left hand outer) produced only half the baffle. I can’t insert a whole new baffle so assume the ramaining bit is still in there. Can anyone suggest a way to get it out, or a good service where I can get it sorted?

John
lairdofsmoke

Re: Baffled by broken baffle

Post by lairdofsmoke »

Hi, can you post a photo of the bit that came out.
If you can then we can take it from there.
On fragrant cloud
Johninreading

Post by Johninreading »

Here are the baffles from both outer pipes (I removed the wadding on the broken one)
59EBB196-1D40-40FF-A6D5-67F56EE0CB84.jpeg
lairdofsmoke

Post by lairdofsmoke »

Right thanks for the photo.
That helps a lot.
What I suggest is you find a piece steel rod about 3 - 4mm dia and measure the length of the good baffle, the rod needs to be at least 200mm longer, make 2 right angled bends starting with the small end bend being about 2-3 mm at one end, then make sure it fits into the good baffle down the centre, and the bent bit located with any of the small holes ( you may need to file down the bent bit to locate in the holes) in the baffle, then when you have an overhaul length you can then put the second right angled bends into the end the would be sticking out of the silencer.

Now you can insert this into the bad bit that's left behind and with the bigger right angle you have a means of pulling it and baffle out, you may need to angle the rod a bit when you've picked up one of the baffle holes. It's not going to be easy you'll have a right fight on your hands, and you may need the assistance of an hammer!
Is there no one local to you who can help, if not I'm north west of Oxford about 25miles the only thing I can further suggest is bring it up. Let me know how you get on.

I'm also surprised no one else has posted a reply!
For now
John.
On fragrant cloud
verminator

Post by verminator »

I had exactly the same thing with my kettle. It was as said. Half had just rotted away. All the other three came out with no bother. I ended up borrowing a very long pair of what were like giant forceps plus I had to get a hacksaw blade down there as well to cut and loosen it up. It came out in the end but took two days of pi**ing about to get the bugger out, but it did come out in the end. Good luck.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Mine came out dead easy. Shot across the road with an enormous "bang" and nearly gave an old lady on a mobility scooter a heart attack :lol: Ermm...It wasn't you was it John?