What a KNOB!!

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
verminator

What a KNOB!!

Post by verminator »

Went to change the oil in the old bubbly yesterday and had total brain fade and undid the wrong drain plug. I undid the detent assembly plug with the spring and little metal plunger instead. I screwed it back in as soon as I realised what a plank I had been but after I changed the oil (after taking out the correct drain plug), and went round the block, I noticed a buzzing noise coming from the gearbox. Would I have done anything by just taking out the detent assembly plug??
canaletto5

Re: What a KNOB!!

Post by canaletto5 »

As long as you didn't move the gear lever while it was out you should be ok. If you can select nuetral and it stay there that is another good sign!. Stoopid question, you did put the plunger in first, then the spring? As for anything else, I assume the right amount of fresh oil went back in. Kev
verminator

Post by verminator »

Thanks Kev. No, I didn't move the gear lever and I did put the plunger in before the spring and plug. I put in the correct 3.9 pts of 20w50 and it rode perfectly up the road and back and it would also select neutral ok, it's just that it is making a bit of a noise now. I did adjust the clutch at the lever. Maybe it needs adjustment at the other end. It was fitted with a new cable and all new clutch plates 1500 miles ago. Cant believe I did it in the first place as I have changed the oil loads of times. My only excuse mi lud is that it was dark in the garage and I was too lazy to run my lamp to the bike. WHAT A TW*T, wont do that again!
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

I think you were worried you'd done it some damage so were super sensitive to odd noises. Kev
verminator

Post by verminator »

You could be right. After buying the bike 5 yrs ago and being told by the seller that the engine had been rebuilt then hearing the dreaded crankshaft noises and having to send everything to Mr Appleby for crank, head skim, pistons, clutch and carb rebuild, I think I am a bit paranoid!! The daft thing is... we only do this for fun!! Oh well, you're a long time dead as my old dad used to say.