Gt750b front brake light switch.

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
willowden

Gt750b front brake light switch.

Post by willowden »

Hi all, I bought myself a front brake light switch for my 1977 GT750B , I was under the impression the wiring would already be in situ within the headlamp shell. The only wire I can see is an orange bullet that goes live when the Ignition is turned on.
Any advice welcomed.
Thanks Andy
barney01

Re: Gt750b front brake light switch.

Post by barney01 »

The orange bullet and a white bullet both fit into a 2 pin connector. Your switch should connect into that.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi,the only problem I have with these switches is keeping the contacts clean at the lever,6 months use and it stops working till cleaned :oops:
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

I fitted one over 10 years ago, never had to clean it and it's worked perfectly through all weathers. And seeing as the front brake gets used a lot more than the rear, I think for safeties sake alone, it's a great idea to have one fitted. :P
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
willowden

Post by willowden »

Thanks, I will have another look, pretty sure though there was not a spare white bullet in there.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

If not, then just run a wire from the white wire (from the front brake switch) in the headlamp, to the white wire that connects into tbe back harness from the rear brake light switch.
If the bike gets used regularly, the contacts stay clean. A small dab of contact grease or similar will help though.
I also tend to use both brakes together in case one is a tad out of adjustment - or like the T/TC 200s, hasn't got a front switch or anywhere to fit one.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

barney01 wrote:The orange bullet and a white bullet both fit into a 2 pin connector. Your switch should connect into that.
The harness side is a two pin connector as barney says so you have to locate that in the shell, It will have an orange and a white wire in it. They are not bullet connectors. You have to chop the plug off and fit a female bullet to the orange wire to match up with the male bullet on the switch wire and a male bullet to the white wire to match up with the female bullet on the switch wire. Alternatively you have to buy an expensive genuine switch which has the matching two pin plug or chop the bullets off the switch wires and fit an aftermarket two pin plug that will mate with the harness side.Kev
apwrigs

Post by apwrigs »

Alan H wrote:If not, then just run a wire from the white wire (from the front brake switch) in the headlamp, to the white wire that connects into tbe back harness from the rear brake light switch.
If the bike gets used regularly, the contacts stay clean. A small dab of contact grease or similar will help though.
I also tend to use both brakes together in case one is a tad out of adjustment - or like the T/TC 200s, hasn't got a front switch or anywhere to fit one.
I could never get why my FB light switch would never work after connecting the orange and white wires to the switch. Just followed Alan's idea and hey presto... must have had a break in the white wire.
It's only took me 3yrs to figure that one out.!!!!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

The way to check that is test the white wire between headlamp shell and rear brake switch white connector and see what resistance you get - should be very low. I haven't access to wiring info here, but I don't think there's a connector in the middle of the white wire. You did connect to the white in the headlamp and not the grey? :o

Glad to have been of service anyway.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
willowden

Post by willowden »

Thanks for all your help fellas, had to run a wire from the pedal brake switch in the end. The white wire in the shell goes god knows where , not to the back lamp anyway.
I have only had the bike since December , I think the previous owner was Edward Scissorhands !!