Only Running on 2 cylinders ? FIXED.

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
mizzytheman

Re: Only Running on 2 cylinders ?

Post by mizzytheman »

mick 63 wrote:
PaulD738 wrote:After all you have tried and given the fact it runs on three ticking over I would suspect the carb?
Hi Paul it seemed to be ticking over ok when i was at charnock richard ?, but it definitely is only running on 2 now now spark at all on the right hand side plug ?

but if i swap the right hand plug and cap to the left they work ok , thats why i think it might be a coil ? cheers
Hi Mick,

Does sound like a coil the way you’ve explained it. Good to see you didn’t get stranded and eventually got home.
mick 63

Post by mick 63 »

raysunners wrote:Hi Mick, are you saying that after changing the condenser it is worse? As in no spark at the plug
Hi Ray , no i presumed it was the condenser last night because of the sparking at the points ? when i started it this morning it was only on 2 cylinders , so i changed the condenser for a brand new one and that made no difference , and putting the old one back in made no difference , i have tried the obvious things like taking a plug and cap from a good running cylinder and putting them on the right hand side coil and plug in the cylinder and still no spark ?,

you have given me an idea though of one thing i haven't checked is taking a condenser from a good running cylinder and putting it on the right hand set of points and see if that makes a difference ? i'll try that tomorrow , cheers
mick 63

Post by mick 63 »

teazer wrote:Throw away the points and condensors and fit a decent modern ignition - Accent.de do a very good ignition at very reasonable prices and that will eliminate one possible cause of failure.

Could also be a coil that is failing under load when it gets hot. or the plug leads and caps. If that lot isn't new, I'd replace them for peace of mind.
Hi teazer , i must admit i prefer the points and condenser set up over electronic ignition , this is the first ignition problem i've had in 10 years owning my Kettle , cheers
mick 63

Post by mick 63 »

Roger Ackery wrote:Hi, my A model has dropped the left cylinder before,spark at the plug, but not running !!
Sprayed the inside of the spark plug cap with contact spray, let dry, & that fixed the problem.
Give it a try....maybe an easy fix,I did notice a lot of muck came out of cap ;)
Hi Roger , thats the problem i have no spark at the plug , but i will give it a try , cheers
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

Why not swap left coil with right,
If the problem moves to the left you know it’s the coil.
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

[quote="Roger Ackery"]Hi, my A model has dropped the left cylinder before,spark at the plug, but not running !!
Sprayed the inside of the spark plug cap with contact spray, let dry, & that fixed the problem.
Give it a try....maybe an easy fix,I did notice a lot of muck came out of the cap ;)[
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
BATTS

Post by BATTS »

I know you said that you took the points off and cleaned them etc, but did you check that they open and close "electrically" as well as physically, I had a set that fooled me for ages, on a car (MGB), until I found that the insulators used in their construction had failed so they weren't actually breaking the current, new set and all sorted. I live just round the corner from Charnock Richard services, I could have come and given you moral support!!! (or tools)
Chris
76 GT750, 78 GT550, BMW K1600gtl
mick 63

Post by mick 63 »

Kettletimes3 wrote:Why not swap left coil with right,
If the problem moves to the left you know it’s the coil.
Hi kettletimes3 thats probably the next thing i'm going to try cheers
mick 63

Post by mick 63 »

Roger Ackery wrote:
Roger Ackery wrote:Hi, my A model has dropped the left cylinder before,spark at the plug, but not running !!
Give it a try....maybe an easy fix,I did notice a lot of muck came out of the cap ;)[
Hi Roger its not the cap or plug swapped them to the left hand side and they work ok , tried swapping condensers around they all work , looking more and more like a coil failure , cheers
slosher

Post by slosher »

PaulD738 wrote:After all you have tried and given the fact it runs on three ticking over I would suspect the carb?
Worth looking at Mick had the same a few years back mine was down to a blocked Jet ;)
Agree with the points try to keep them at least you can limp back on points but if Electronic fails your knackered

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)