Only Running on 2 cylinders ? FIXED.

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Alan H

Re: Only Running on 2 cylinders ?

Post by Alan H »

If you swap the coils and the fault follows the coil, it could still be 'just' a duff ht lead connection where it goes in the coil. I always fit new copper cored ht leads in the coils when I've done a resto.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
mick 63

Post by mick 63 »

Well i managed to get a couple of hours to look at my kettle today, i took the coils off the bike and cleaned them and the mounting bracket up , i checked for chaffed or broken wires and they were all ok, so i put them back on the bike.

i made a little tool to release the coloured wires from the coils out of the 6 multi pin block and changed the black and white wires round , this gave me the same result as swapping the coils around ,

i now have no spark on the left cylinder i have spark on the centre and right hand side cylinders, so i think i definitely have a failed coil ?

however i didn't get the result i was expecting , before i swapped the coil wires around , the bike would run on 2 cylinders left and centre ,

it now wants to run on the centre cylinder but the right cylinder has a spark but won't run but does backfire really loudly occasionally ?

have i got a carb problem on that cylinder ? cheers for any input :?
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Backfire is normally electrical not carb if that helps.
mick 63

Post by mick 63 »

BAZ wrote:Backfire is normally electrical not carb if that helps.
ok Baz , by swapping the black wire from right hand coil with the white wire from left coil , i now have spark on the right but no spark on the left , so the right hand coil is working ,

does that sound more like a power to the right hand coil issue ? cheers for any input ;)
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

mick 63 wrote:
ok Baz , by swapping the black wire from right hand coil with the white wire from left coil , i now have spark on the right but no spark on the left , so the right hand coil is working ,

does that sound more like a power to the right hand coil issue ? cheers for any input ;)
Possibly or the points aren't doing their job (gap, condensor etc)Kev
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Flick a screwdriver across the (open) points that earn't working and of you don't get a spark it's points related. That could be points, condenser or where tbe wires fix to tbe points if the insulating washers have been fitted incorrectly. If you disconnect the wire to the coils from the points, then flick that to earth, there should be a weak spark at the plug, this will tell you if it's points side or harness side.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
mick 63

Post by mick 63 »

canaletto5 wrote:
mick 63 wrote:

Possibly or the points aren't doing their job (gap, condensor etc)Kev
ok Kev cheers ;)
mick 63

Post by mick 63 »

Alan H wrote:Flick a screwdriver across the (open) points that earn't working and of you don't get a spark it's points related. That could be points, condenser or where tbe wires fix to tbe points if the insulating washers have been fitted incorrectly. If you disconnect the wire to the coils from the points, then flick that to earth, there should be a weak spark at the plug, this will tell you if it's points side or harness side.
cheers Alan i'll have another look tomorrow ;)
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

I can send a set of coils to try mate if that helps.
teazer

Post by teazer »

I'm not a big fan of throwing parts at a problem, but in this case, take Baz up on his offer or just buy a set of coils.

When you swapped the white and black leads, did you remember to also swap the plug leads to the corresponding cylinders? If not the spark is arriving at the wrong time ...