SHIFTING CAM STOPPER FELL OUT - HELP

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
robdallow

SHIFTING CAM STOPPER FELL OUT - HELP

Post by robdallow »

Hi Everyone, it’s been a while since I’ve posted on the forum. After 16 years in the States, we moved back to Macclesfield last year, along with my 4 ladies - a restored GT750L, a GT550M in a thousand bits and needing my attention and a restored H1 - and of course the good lady ! All legally imported now and the Kettle is registered in the UK with ‘74 plates.
After an eternity to get them here (US shippers) I went over to the local storage unit yesterday with a fully charged battery and fresh petrol. After a bit of tinkering and priming the carbs, she fired up on the third try. Such a reliable old girl (I thought).
I rode home 10 miles incident free and set about giving her a good service and a clean up.
When I removed the sump plug to drain the oil, a spring and what I now know as the Shifting Cam Stopper fell out as well - part number 25351-30000. I only discovered what they were when I tried to engage a gear this morning and couldn’t.
I have never had any issues with gear selection previously.
Questions:
1) Why would it fall out of the sump drain hole ? What caused it to do so ?
2) How Major is the surgery to put it back and carry out the necessary repairs ?
I am sitting here expecting the worse - engine out, crankcase splitting, etc. Can somebody out please give me the news - good or bad ?
Thanks in anticipation,
Rob

PS - I attach a photo of the bike.
Attachments
This is the old girl !
This is the old girl !
raysunners

Re: SHIFTING CAM STOPPER FELL OUT - HELP

Post by raysunners »

Unfortunately you seem to have removed the wrong plug to drain the oil, its the other one nearby, not sure its a major problem if you put the parts back in before moving the gear lever, its a common mistake to remove that plug
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Hi. Welcome back

It looks as though you have removed the wrong plug. Was it the one at the back that goes into an angled hole? If

Carefully replace the stopper in the hole , nose first, followed by the spring and then refit the bolt. The stopper is designed to pick up neutral on the shift drum. Fill with oil and then carefully try moving through the gears until the stopper picks up the detent again. You may get away with it. Kev
robdallow

Post by robdallow »

As usual, you guys have come up trumps. I feel such a numpty for removing the wrong plug !
Some careful work next weekend for me and fingers crossed.
Thanks again.
Rob
teebowbusablaster

Post by teebowbusablaster »

Rob,

Don't feel a numpty, I did exactly the same thing a week ago, having decided to drop the oil to put a new crush washer on. A phone call to a member on here confirmed that I too had joined a not very exclusive club, and that it was Suzuki's fault in putting what looks like a drain plug, almost next to the drain plug.
robdallow

Post by robdallow »

Thanks to allthe advice and encouragement here, I fixed the old girl this morning. All working as it should do.

I suppose I have to admit that my wife is right (as usual), I need constant supervision. Give me a spanner and I’ll get into trouble. But you can’t beat the fun of fixing it and then leaving a blue haze behind you as you do what a Kettle is meant for - riding !

Rob