Something for nothing....

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
teebowbusablaster

Something for nothing....

Post by teebowbusablaster »

So, after my major engine rebuild (discussed at length earlier), the builder put 2200ml of oil in, and then his oppo put another 2200ml in in top. I sorted that (and it has been subsequently drained and refilled with 2200ml, until it just started to dribble out of the level check hole.
After every ride, I get a leak, under the sump, central, but to the rear, and I can't see where it's coming from.

To see how much has leaked out, I just checked the level and it's pouring out of the level check hole again, I guestimate 75ml so far (I have left it to continue this afternoon).
So, assuming that the 2200ml I put in was about right, where is all of this excess coming from ?
It is not appreciably losing coolant, so that is probably out, I top it up to the tab, and after 200 miles or so it seems to have found it's own level towards the bottom of the filler tube.
Next check will be to let the gearbox oil stop dripping, NOT top up the coolant to the tab, and see if it has excess oil in after another 100 miles or so, but an suggestions welcome !
Alan H

Re: Something for nothing....

Post by Alan H »

teebowbusablaster wrote: where is all of this excess coming from ? any suggestions welcome !
Magic.Image
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
teebowbusablaster

Goodness knows. I would guess 250ml to 300ml cam out today.
raysunners

Post by raysunners »

teebowbusablaster wrote:So, after my major engine rebuild (discussed at length earlier), the builder put 2200ml of oil in, and then his oppo put another 2200ml in in top. I sorted that (and it has been subsequently drained and refilled with 2200ml, until it just started to dribble out of the level check hole.
After every ride, I get a leak, under the sump, central, but to the rear, and I can't see where it's coming from.

To see how much has leaked out, I just checked the level and it's pouring out of the level check hole again, I guestimate 75ml so far (I have left it to continue this afternoon).
So, assuming that the 2200ml I put in was about right, where is all of this excess coming from ?
It is not appreciably losing coolant, so that is probably out, I top it up to the tab, and after 200 miles or so it seems to have found it's own level towards the bottom of the filler tube.
Next check will be to let the gearbox oil stop dripping, NOT top up the coolant to the tab, and see if it has excess oil in after another 100 miles or so, but an suggestions welcome !
I think the 2200ml is for a dry engine, when i change mine I fill until comes out the level plug and then leave it until it stops dripping before putting the screw back in, seems to work for me ;)
teebowbusablaster

Been out and done a (VERY) few miles tonight, like 15, and took the level plug out just now while cleaning the bugs off, ner a dribble....so looks like it was just overfull, and not getting any additional fluid from anywhere. A longer run tomorrow (weather permitting) to see if the problem is solved.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

teebowbusablaster wrote:Been out and done a (VERY) few miles tonight, like 15, and took the level plug out just now while cleaning the bugs off, ner a dribble....so looks like it was just overfull, and not getting any additional fluid from anywhere. A longer run tomorrow (weather permitting) to see if the problem is solved.
It's a Hippo, not a hardly ableson.
How come you've got bugs on the level plug? Yer bin ploughing? :shock:
Last edited by Alan H on Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
teebowbusablaster

Silly, the bugs were on the mirrors and headlamp, no doubt attracted by the ridiculously bright LED bulb fitted this week, a la Richard "its not a teapot".
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

teebowbusablaster wrote:Silly, the bugs were on the mirrors and headlamp, no doubt attracted by the ridiculously bright LED bulb fitted this week, a la Richard "its not a teapot".
That int watcher said earlier. I just updated me previous fred so's yerc'nsee. Image Image :roll:

Oh, hope yer dribble clears up soon btw......... :?
wardy

Post by wardy »

teebowbusablaster wrote:Silly, the bugs were on the mirrors and headlamp, no doubt attracted by the ridiculously bright LED bulb fitted this week, a la Richard "its not a teapot".
That sounds interesting!.. which bulb have you fitted please.
My std bulb is very poor and I've been looking to upgrade for a while.
This sounds just the ticket!
cheers
Andy
Andy;
1976 gt750A; 86 FZ750
1977gt380A
1982 z400j
1981 z650f.....1988 Sufolk punch 14"
"look;it's my bike; when you own it ,you can paint it any colour you like!"
(I once painted my Z650 PINK and had the pink panther logo on the tailpiece)