Sackum fackum rassum exhausts this time.

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
teebowbusablaster

Sackum fackum rassum exhausts this time.

Post by teebowbusablaster »

So, having lost the RH rear mounting bolt for the silencers the other night, I ordered one.

Perfect opportunity to swap the "different curve" centre downpipe for the new one that came in the full set of GT750 exhausts bought on Ebay.

So, old centre pipe out and attempt to swp the clamp over, except someone has retained it with a couple of blobs of weld. Ho Hum.

Order a replacement clamp from Abergavenny motorcycles which arrived this morning. All excited I opened it, and offered it up to the threads, only for it to slip almost without touching over them, it was about 2mm too big.

Simon at Abergavenny was very helpful and the suppliers have measured a batch and they are all the same, as mine. They have sold hundreds of the apparently, and never had any back.

Back on with the old centre downpipe with the captive clamp, and can I buggery get the whole lot to line up. The rear maounting pints are fixed, so I loosely fastened them, and then offered the clamp at the head up, again fastening it losely while assembly. The two lower silencers JUST met the downpipe joint, certainly not enough to get a good fit, and gas tight seal.

All of this tends to lend weight to te fact that i have not one, but 2 GT550 downpipes, so I have ordered another Delkevic replica centre downpipe for fitting tomorrow.

I love old bikes me !
stevewharton

Re: Sackum fackum rassum exhausts this time.

Post by stevewharton »

And I thought I was unlucky :shock: do you think you'll have it ready for the 2020 rally Terry?
Last edited by stevewharton on Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
teebowbusablaster

Oh, I will sort it.
teebowbusablaster

The 2 downpipes side by side. The one that was fitted is the one with the clamp, the one that came in the box of exhaust spares is the shinier one of the two. At first glance, similar dimensions, but no, they ARE different.
downpipes.jpg
teebowbusablaster

So, the new Delkevik centre downpipe arrived, complete with clamp which of course fits it.
The Hiway clamp slides straight over the threads.
The delkevik clamp fits perfectly on the new downpipe that came (in a Delkevic box) with the set of Suzuki pipes. I deduce, therefore that the new downpipe was in fact a Delkevik one, and is a different size, albeit only by a mm or so, across the threads.
I now have TWO delkecic centre downpipe, and a spare hiway clamp. It's a lesson learned.
Now to go and offer it all up.
teebowbusablaster

And all of the component parts fitted, so we're back in business again, just in time for the probably rained off Sheene Classic at Scarborough this weekend !