Rad paint & carbs

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
klektermaniac

Rad paint & carbs

Post by klektermaniac »

Hello All,
What is the best paint for a GT750J radiator? I know there are several that are shown as heat proof but some of them are just not!
Also I need 3 float needle valve assemblies and the Suzuki ones are really silly money. Are the Tourmax, Keyster, ebay types etc any good? I have obtained genuine Mikuni for the rest of the items (jets etc) but £75 each for the genuine float valves is really taking the wee wee!
RogerH.
barney01

Re: Rad paint & carbs

Post by barney01 »

With regards to carb float needle valves. IMHO it's the old adage 'if you buy cheap you buy twice' and it would be a shame you bought everything else genuine Mikuni and then bought Keyster for a job that is essential to the smooth running of your engine. :roll:
But that's just my opinion others may disagree.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
klektermaniac

Post by klektermaniac »

Hello barney,
I know you are 100% correct in what you say and I know the Keyster kits in particular get a lot of flack on the net.
I think I am just looking for someone to tell me not to waste my money on genuine parts when I know it is really the right thing to do and the cheap items are actually the wrong way to go. Oh well, the wallet will have to take another hit!!!!
RogerH.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Good decision. I had to do the same to my carbs a couple of years ago. It hurt at the time but it was really worth it. :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

I've just got a set of 3 Mikuni needle valves/seats for my 550 from the USA. They are used but look like new. Cost £18 posted. They were to replace some pattern ones which were prone to flooding the carbs at tickover. When I compared the pattern with the genuine, the springs on the Mikuni valves are much softer than the pattern ones. Angle of the tip is different too. I put the Mikuni in and the flooding problem was solved.

Paul (Harry)
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
klektermaniac

Post by klektermaniac »

Hello,
Yes a lot of other forums also mention problems with pattern carb parts too. Possibly Ok if you are doing up to sell, but it does not help the new buyer.
A will have a look at the USA as they do have a lot more genuine parts available as long as the postage costs are not too expensive.
RogerH.
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

Give Motocarb a call they may be able to help.

http://www.motocarb.com/new-replacement-parts.html
teazer

Post by teazer »

J/K carbs are fitted with Mikuni part # VM28/163 and they are available in a range of sizes. Stock OEM are #2.5, so go with 2.5 or 3.0

Keyster are OK for those parts but their jets and needle are often not the right size.