Gt550 Issue

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
jalexa66

Gt550 Issue

Post by jalexa66 »

Hi,

I recently purchased a restored 550GT and have the following issue:

The engine starts no problem, is idles well and accelerates with no issues, when trying to keep a consistent speed say 40mph it runs really erratically. also it does not seem to drop revs correctly. All the rubber intakes to the cylinders look new. Any advice on where to start would be appreciated?
canaletto5

Re: Gt550 Issue

Post by canaletto5 »

Hi

Welcome to the forum

It is worth just doing the basic checks first. You don't say if it has electronic ignition or standard points fitted but check the timing and the points gap before delving into the fuel side. What colour are the plug electrodes? (they should be a light tan colour, if they are sooty, or white, there may be a fuel issue)

Also, when it is at idle, spray easy start around the intake rubbers, if the revs go up, you may have an air leak

Where are you located?

Kev
jalexa66

Post by jalexa66 »

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the advice, it has electronic ignition. I will check the plugs this evening and do the easy start check on the intakes.
As I said, I have just purchased the bike which has been restored ( It looks like a good job from the outside)

Im in Perth Australia.

John
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Hi John

Make sure the electronic ignition is working as it should. Some can limit revs at higher speeds if they aren't the right set up for your particular bike.

Perth eh? I spent my early/mid teens in WA. Lived out Craigie way
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

canaletto5 wrote:
Perth eh? I spent my early/mid teens in WA. Lived out Craigie way

Now we know the reason. :roll: