GT750 bushing for muffler size issue?

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Skyguyz

GT750 bushing for muffler size issue?

Post by Skyguyz »

I was going to fit my bushings for my mufflers when I noticed they won't fit.I purchased new OEM/SGP # 33651-31000 and they are too big for the frame bosses.

Now if I remove the outer steel race, (Sleeve) now the new bushing it will fit almost perfectly. Is there something I am missing?

Image. Image Image Image
Last edited by Skyguyz on Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulD738

Re: GT750 bushing for muffler size issue?

Post by PaulD738 »

Are you sure it’s not the powder coating inside the frame tube stopping the bush fitting? The powder coat can be very thick in places like that. I had to Dremmel it out of my headstock to get the outer race to fit properly.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Skyguyz

Post by Skyguyz »

The boss was internally protected by a rubber bung that they use to prevent powder coat from getting where you don't want it. I personally fitted these things at the powder coat shop. No, the bore is clean and no sign of powder coat on the inside of the bore.
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

It looks as though the outer steel casing of the old bush is still in the frame.
Skyguyz

Post by Skyguyz »

mizzytheman wrote:It looks as though the outer steel casing of the old bush is still in the frame.

That is the problem. I don't know why I didn't see it earlier. Sometime when you do these rebuilds you get focused too narrow and you do dumb things like this.
I fixed the problem and can't help but thinking how did I miss this...DOH!

Thanks !

Sky