Exhaust bolt

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
klektermaniac

Exhaust bolt

Post by klektermaniac »

Hello All,
Oh Bother, and it was all going so well!! I have broken off a new stainless steel bolt in the exhaust port on the cylinder block.
I have tried HSS and Cobalt drills which hardly marked it. Someone in the Goldie club suggested a masonry drill so I tried and it was the most successful, but will take forever.
Are there any drills of harder material I could use? Is there such a thing as a diamond drill? I am looking at approx. 3mm drill size to start with, and as I am drilling slightly uphill it is very difficult to cool/lubricate while drilling.
Any suggestions?
RogerH. :cry:
PaulD738

Re: Exhaust bolt

Post by PaulD738 »

When you get the pilot hole drilled try a slightly bigger left hand drill and if your lucky the stud will wind out.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

PaulD738 wrote:When you get the pilot hole drilled try a slightly bigger left hand drill and if your lucky the stud will wind out.
Exactly what I did when I broke the same bolt in the same place. Bought a set of left hand drills off ebay and it came out easy, my tip is keep the drill speed very slow or you'll harden the broken bolt (if you haven't already) and use WD40 on the drill.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

A decent cobalt should do the job,
Unless as Steve said it’s already hardened it.
Do you have any stud protruding if so get a nut welded to it.
klektermaniac

Post by klektermaniac »

No protrusion at all - that would be too easy!! I will persevere and keep fingers crossed.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Give yourself a start with a center punch and if you have a center drill use that to break through the hard surface you’ve created. Should be ok then.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!