Water leak

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
slosher

Re: Water leak

Post by slosher »

Mike do you know if the motor has had a recent re-build :?: because this is fairly common on Kettles and a generally a rad weld solution added is a fix ;)

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

slosher wrote:Mike do you know if the motor has had a recent re-build :?: because this is fairly common on Kettles and a generally a rad weld solution added is a fix ;)

Cheers Dave
+1 on that and I'd re-torque all the head bolts too. I'd also recommend using Radseal gold, about £9 from Halfords.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Yes it's the one in the small gold coloured plastic bottle and for the best result you need to use the full bottle.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Holts Radweld plus in the gold 250ml bottle is the one I used and it worked perfectly. £7.98 on ebay with freepost, or if you want it quicker try Halfords, I bought mine from there and it was on a reduced price then :D
Regards, Steve W.
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Just looking at your photo showing the leak and noticed the very large gap between the nearside exhaust clamp and the barrel.
Unless this is an optical illusion, the gap needs adjusting down to about 2mm and of course this should be the same on all three exhausts.
If you do need to adjust these three clamps, make sure you don't over-tighten the six retaining bolts, as it's very easy to strip the aluminium threads in the barrels.
slosher

Post by slosher »

Mike
You need to remove the bolts first and spin the clamp in a couple of turns like Stevewharton says you wil strip the threads or bend the clamps odds on the thread will go first ;)

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)