Leaking fork seal

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
sprint

Leaking fork seal

Post by sprint »

I replaced the off side fork oil seal on my UK GT750 A only to have it leaking straight away again and not just a weep enough for it to be running down the side of the leg.

It has what I believe to be the original sanchtons fitted and whilst showing signs of use could not see any deep scratches that should be causing a problem?

Don't really want to try just changing the seal again as it is a right pain removing the leg so would prefer to replace the sanchton. Near side one is currently OK, though showing the same wear signs as the off side one, so will only change the one that is leaking.

Are there any aftermarket sanctions that are recommended as the gen Suzuki are ridiculously priced and whilst getting it re-chromed is possible for simplicity I would just prefer to replace, unless that is, somebody has a good one/pair of sanctions to fit an 'A'?
barney01

Re: Leaking fork seal

Post by barney01 »

NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

Are you using genuine or aftermarket seals.
I always use genuine,Have had failures with pattern.
widget

Post by widget »

is there a chance you 'nicked it' putting it back together.....apparently it has been done.....supposedly......alledgedly,,,,,,possibly......
sprint

Post by sprint »

Thanks for the replies and link.

I am using Pyramid seals which I have done for many years without any problems, so not sure that a gen Suzuki would be any better. All versions, I believe, are now the 11mm deep ones which was the same as taken out. I have not fitted any spacer behind it but would now look to fit the 5mm x-sec o-ring as suggested in the link.

Can't be sure that I have not nicked it and would only find that out once removed. Hence looking to replace the sanchton and was asking if anybody has found an aftermarket source as the gen Suzuki one are nearly £400/pr.
barney01

Re: Leaking fork seal6

Post by barney01 »

NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
sprint

Re: Leaking fork seal6

Post by sprint »

barney01 wrote:Here is an option for you
http://www.pittedforks.co.uk/fork-rechroming.php
Thanks for the reply.

I am aware of Philpots, but at over £200 (once you have added the postage) it's not the cheapest option.

I have been informed that Legends can supply a Japanese made pair for £150, so that is probably the route I will go.