Not what I was expecting on the first start of a new engine rebuild...Advise?

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Skyguyz

Re: Not what I was expecting on the first start of a new engine rebuild...Advise?

Post by Skyguyz »

Alan H wrote: What's next? :shock: :lol:
This arrived a couple weeks ago. A 1974 Kettle. Needs some engine work. Not going to do a restoration but more of a repair.

I just can't stop! 8-)

Sky

Image. Image. Image
Alan H

Re: Not what I was expecting on the first start of a new engine rebuild...Advise?

Post by Alan H »

We never learn sense, do we? :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
slosher

Post by slosher »

It's not a "74" tank Sky it's gorra a Cat Flap :lol: :lol: :lol:
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
Skyguyz

Post by Skyguyz »

slosher wrote:It's not a "74" tank Sky it's gorra a Cat Flap :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, I noted that. The tank must have been replaced by the PO. I will press on with this after a small break from my 75 restoration.

Cheers,

Sky

teazer

Post by teazer »

It looks clean. As others have commented, that's an A or B tank. Maybe a PO wanted a larger tank and liked the look, or could be it was damaged. BTW, are the pipes J models with cross overs or were they also changed to MAB style without crossovers? If so I wonder if a PO also re-jetted the carbs to later specs.

Old bikes are always interesting as we try to find the story that parts and conditions tell us.
Skyguyz

Post by Skyguyz »

teazer wrote:It looks clean. As others have commented, that's an A or B tank. Maybe a PO wanted a larger tank and liked the look, or could be it was damaged. BTW, are the pipes J models with cross overs or were they also changed to MAB style without crossovers? If so I wonder if a PO also re-jetted the carbs to later specs.

Old bikes are always interesting as we try to find the story that parts and conditions tell us.

It's title came as a 1974. It has the crossover pipes. I'm thinking the tank was the only switch. It will be interesting for sure. The pipes as far as I can tell are OEM and in really good condition.

More to come...

Sky
malky

Post by malky »

All the rest of it is "L" model - nice looking bike