Gear switch assembly problem

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
jons76a

Gear switch assembly problem

Post by jons76a »

Hi, On my A model I have had a slight oil leak coming from behind the gear switch assembly. I have managed to stop it by fitting home made gasket (not sure if right or wrong) I know I would need to renew oil seal, but where do I source on from?
Also I have noticed when refitting that one of the wires on the switch assembly is loose (yellow/green) all seems to be working ok, but can it be repaired or do I just need to bite bullet and buy new switch assembly? Any help or advice would be very gratefully received.
PaulD738

Re: Gear switch assembly problem

Post by PaulD738 »

I would try Robinsons or Crooks Suzuki. Someone will be along with the part number shortly.
If they can’t help just measure the original on the bike and search eBay. You will get hundreds for a few quid.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
oldjapanesebikes

Re: Gear switch assembly problem

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

There is an oil seal set into the case on later A's and all B's - some earlier A's don't seem to have it as they have the older, wider (16mm) needle bearing installed on the end of the shifter drum. The part number for the seal is 09284-16002 from Suzuki, but you should be able to buy them at any seal supply place - you want a 30x15x8 seal. You can retro fit the seal to older cases, but you have to switch the needle roller bearing to the narrow 12mm style (09263-16012). Doing so requires you split the cases to be able to get at it. 8-)
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com