Oily pipes

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
verminator

Oily pipes

Post by verminator »

After running the bike for a while, it seems to be dripping black oil from somewhere. It seems to run down the centre stand and onto the floor. It also runs along the bottom right hand pipe after a run. I recently took the baffles out and cleaned them. The pipes on the right hand side where it is oily, were very oily inside, where as the other side were dry. I have checked the plugs, and all three seem to be a healthy colour. The bike runs perfectly and starts first time. Any idea why it should be doing this??
Roger Ackery

Re: Oily pipes

Post by Roger Ackery »

;) Hi, I had a similar problem :roll:
I was told by a Kettle Guru to buy a new petrol tap,this fixed the problem...a slightly leaking tap, allowing fuel to keep running,
The give away sign was the tap was leaking on reserve. Does the oil pipes smell of fuel ?
Worth checking ;)

Cheers,
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
verminator

Post by verminator »

Strangely enough, there was a slight drip when turned to reserve. I wonder if the rubber gasket in the fuel tap might fix it?
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

The taps are expensive, but was a quick fix for me :idea:
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Another possibility is a stuck closed SRIS valve on the offending cylinder. Instead of ejecting excess oil it collects in the bottom of the crankcase.To check it pull off the pipe remove the valve and try gently sucking the exit tube. You should feel the valve opening and closing. It can be cleaned with petrol. Its a well known fact that these engines are probably over oiled but thats better than under.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Filly

Post by Filly »

Try checking the oil pump o rings. On the crankcase base behind the oil pump, there is a hole to allow any excess oil to drain; the oil ends up on the central stand and on the right muffler. I wonder '.....
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Stop putting oil in.
That'll cure it.
The engine will seize of course, but there'll be no oil leaks........ :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated