Help and advice needed.

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
stevewharton

Help and advice needed.

Post by stevewharton »

Okay you technical gurus, now I know it's not a kettle but I need some help with one of those new fangled 4 stroke motorcycles, my GSX1100G to be precise. Took it out the garage yesterday to do an oil and filter change, started okay, let it run for 20 minutes or so to warm up, switched off, did the oil change but when I tried to start it again, nothing, except a fast clicking sound coming from the black box, ecu? under the seat. Not being the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to electrics means I'm baffled, any ideas?
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
itsnotateapot

Re: Help and advice needed.

Post by itsnotateapot »

I think you should have left the old oil in. hope this helps, again. :?
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
slosher

Post by slosher »

Is the console showing a fault code Steve F1 or something like that :?: my TL generally shows a code you then refer to the manual for reference dunno whether GSX1100 do
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

itsnotateapot wrote:I think you should have left the old oil in. hope this helps, again. :?
Thanks for the help Richard, again. :roll:
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

slosher wrote:Is the console showing a fault code Steve F1 or something like that :?: my TL generally shows a code you then refer to the manual for reference dunno whether GSX1100 do
Cheers Slosher, but I think a 93 Suzuki is a bit too ancient for such modern gadgetry. :o
oldjapanesebikes

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

I would put the battery on charge and then try it again. 8-)
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

oldjapanesebikes wrote:I would put the battery on charge and then try it again. 8-)
First thing I thought but the batteries been on an optimate all winter, still connected it to a charger though and it showed the battery is fully charged.
oldjapanesebikes

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

That fast clicking normally would be the starter solenoid, and usually means either low battery or, possibly a bad solenoid. If you are certain the battery is good, then I'd double check the connections to the starter solenoid or possibly try using a different battery. I'm sure others will jump in with additional suggestions. 8-)
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Okay so finally got to the bottom of the problem. Had the battery checked and it's fine, so without the use of a multimeter and my lack of auto electrical knowledge, I decided it was time to call in the experts. A very nice man from the AA came to my house, courtesy of my Peter James bike insurance and tracked the problem down to a dodgy connection on the starter motor and the clicking sound under the seat was the fuel pump. So all sorted and ready for some drier and warmer sunny days. :D
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Excellent news.
It might be an idea to check as many connections as you can on the bike - especially the earths to avoid any other problems.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated