electronic ignition

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
captainblue

electronic ignition

Post by captainblue »

Hi guys ive bitten the bullet and bought a new wiring loom as the old one looked like an Italian spaghetti supper, it has a Boyer Bransden electronic ignition do I connect the yellow (live) wire from box to the orange off on switch wire by chopping it into new loom and is the black and white wire on top of left coil an earth wire last question do I connect the three orange coil wires into new loom leaving the other three terminals blank cheers Steve
yeadon_m

Re: electronic ignition

Post by yeadon_m »

Hi Cap’n!
I don’t know how to fit your Boyer, but I hope that in responding, your post might get a bump. Did you introduce yourself the “You & Your Bike” section? It’s always appreciated.
I do have an answer to your question about the black / white wire on the coil: no! It’s the switched live from the matching set of points. Take off the points cover & you’ll see that same wire on one set of points.
Cheers,
Mike
captainblue

Post by captainblue »

Thanks Mike I've been a member for years sure I posted an hello the electronic ignition was on bike already and I've bought a new loom just dont know what I'm doing :roll:
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Cap’n,
I know the feeling where it comes to elecrickery!
I found this - it looks densely written. http://www.medial.se/suzuki/ignition/bo ... nsden.html
If you still have the old loom & installation, are there clues on how to install it there?
Cheers,
Mike
BATTS

Post by BATTS »

The Boyerbransden site has fitting instructions here, although from personal experience I would throw away the Boyer system and replace with an Accent or Newtronic system which are designed for Suzuki's, don't require butchering of the loom and work better. http://www.boyerbransden.com/pdf/KIT000 ... 00016_.pdf
Chris
76 GT750, 78 GT550, BMW K1600gtl
captainblue

Post by captainblue »

Thanks guys I have followed the fitting instructions just dont know how to join remaining coil wires into new loom I have a mate who is mustard at this but wont be able to help till the lockdown is lifted due to having a vulnerable missus
xr738

Post by xr738 »

I wouldn't dismiss the Boyer. I ahave it working hard in my kettle for over 30 years and it never missed a beat. The others are okay and definitiv more state of the art, but in my opinion not as rugged as the Boyer.
Apart from the that, Newtronic is no longer available.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Chris57

Post by Chris57 »

And the best of the lot are available here :lol: - http://www.accent-electronic.com/ELZ2Coil.html
xr738

Post by xr738 »

Newtronic being still available was new to me.

Call me ignorant I stay with the Boyer although we have all 3. The wife had a newtronic, which I swapped for an Accent. Ignition wise that is because an accent I got anyway and I can't get rid of it. I swapped it cause the Accent was so easy to install, you could time every cyclinder separately and no black box.
I swapped my Boyer for the Accent as well when I did a big revision of the electrical system with separate circuits and fuses.In that I was routing the ignition cables straight to the coils without making a detour by going under the engine to the left sidepanel and from there up to the coils.

Unfortunately the Accent wasn't sealed with lacquer on the backside and when moisture got into the ignition housing it corroded in a flash.

I switched back to Boyer and will stay with it as it fits the kettle in its technology because they came out or more or less at the time. Come to think of it Suzuki could have taken up a license and fitting the beast with it.

Don't get me wrong I don't think that the Accent is a bad ignition system at all as I am quite familiar with it from its start. A friend initiated it the version for the Kettle and was running the prototype on his.