Mystery Debris in Clutch Case

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
stonehomes

Mystery Debris in Clutch Case

Post by stonehomes »

Afternoon all, i have had a GT750M sitting on my work bench n the garage for over five years. This was a US import and was in a bit of a sorry state, there was an initial bought of enthusiasm at the outset but that waned the bike was never far enough progressed to ever run it. As a result of the free time now available due to C-19 i have rekindled my interest, making good progress and it is all looking pretty good. However, there is always the nagging voice that says, i wonder why the bike had stood in the states for so long and satisfied myself with the view that there probably wasn't a reason and all will hopefully be fine. Well this afternoon i found out why when removing the clutch cover for polishing and all these bits fell out... I am guessing the bearing detent behind the clutch basket but given how close the cases are to the clutch basket i have two questions. 1. can the basked me removed with out splitting the cases? 2. anyone reconcile these mangled pieces of metal. Thanking you for any assistance you may offer. Images attached, please note i have used the basket nut to provide proportion.
Attachments
IMG_4518.JPG
IMG_4517.JPG
stonehomes

Re: Mystery Debris in Clutch Case

Post by stonehomes »

The good news is that i worked out how to take the basket out and the odd news is that there doesnt appear to be anything missing. The bearing detent is in place, i am starting to think the mangled bits are not of Kettle origin, any parts of similar size in the gear box going wrong wouldn't have made it through to the clutch area or would it?
Any ideas please anyone.
stonehomes

Post by stonehomes »

A couple of images ...
Attachments
IMG_4521.JPG
IMG_4519.JPG
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

What you see looks like the rim that would surround the clutch this is a very common failure and you are lucky it did not damage the casings. you can discard it and should not get any problems. Welcome to the forum.
Last edited by BAZ on Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

The reinforcing band has become detached from around the clutch basket and the been chewed up by the clutch and crank gears. Should look like the one in the attached photo.
Attachments
723C4420-06EC-4973-9450-60B1F7B04CE7.png
bigrocketrider

Post by bigrocketrider »

You were lucky to get away with that one. Bikes looking very nice.
stonehomes

Post by stonehomes »

Thanks for the heads up lads, much appreciated, now i feel better....
Should have it finished in three weekends.
Thanks again.