Rebore necessary. What pistons?

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
nightster

Rebore necessary. What pistons?

Post by nightster »

Hi guys I need a rebore on my GT750J barrels but what pistons do I use as there seems to be 5 sets I can find available with vastly different costs.
!. Cruzinimage £67
2. Mitaka £168
3. Wossner £328 beautifully finished
4. Wiseco £320 beautifully finished
5. Suzuki £400
All plus various extras i.e. postage, tax, import tax, handling charges.
Unfortunately the beauty of the Wossner and Wiseco pistons won't be seen, I have no doubt from their racing heritage they will probably be the best to use but not necessary for road use though would be nice to know they are in there.
Though its great to see Suzuki reproduce parts for their own bikes like most I have looked at on their site and as with the pistons they can only be described as extortion. (in my opinion)
This leaves us with the Mitaka pistons at around half the cost and the Cruzinimage at around a fifth of the cost what do you guys recommend.
I don't believe in the case you get what you pay for or the most expensive the better and have good examples to prove this but I refrain from boring you to tears.
I know people purchased these pistons and have them in their engines but can anyone tell me how they run, are they reliable, noises knocks or rattles etc. what did the engineering shops who rebored the barrels think of them.
I have bought some parts for my CBX1000z from Cruzinimage and though I'm only in the process of fitting them the quality is as good as any OEM parts I have seen, fit is good how they operate I can't yet say.
Many thanks for any help available
canaletto5

Re: Rebore necessary. What pistons?

Post by canaletto5 »

I am running my Kettle, GT250 and GT380 all on CruzinImage pistons. They are absolutely fine. Kev
Last edited by canaletto5 on Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

ive fitted a couple of sets , they're good no problems.
Gary66

Post by Gary66 »

Just put some cruzinimage ones in my x7, time will tell I suppose :-/
steveb2582

Post by steveb2582 »

The guy who l got to rebuild my engine said no to Wisco pistons because of size or so ,flair on them to become tighter,better for raceing .he should know, can't quite remember .google him (Brett De Stoop)ace speed freak
nightster

Post by nightster »

Thanks for the feedback guys seems cruzinimage wins the day. I take the point onboard Steve about the Wiseco. I would like to have heard of someone running Mitaka as they are priced in the middle but if you guys are running cruzinimage with no problems Im ok with that.
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

Hi nights tear,

I've been running Mitaka in my GT750 for about 3 years with no problems. Grampian motors in Liverpool bought thousands of these pistons and have been selling them to the general public for years. They also do rebores and crank rebuilds/refurbishments. Check out their website for the story about Mitaka pistons.

Regards

Martin
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

I run Mitaka pistons (supplied by Grampian) in a Yamaha race bike and they lasted two laps of Oulton Park before the tops came off and totalled the motor! Prob ok for low reving road bikes but definitely no use for racing :oops: Big fall out with Grampian over that and other issues but that's another story ;) I've not had Crusin Image Pistons but I have bought carburettor recon kits, floats and emulsion tubes from them and they have all been super quality
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
zapo

Post by zapo »

I run Wiseco, never had any problems and the engine seems to rev better than it did with Suzuki originals...could just be in my mind of course - oh, and yes, they do look pretty.
Attachments
4 pistons wiseco.jpg
I had two stroke's and survived.
nightster

Post by nightster »

Thanks again guys and those Wisecos do look brilliant at least you know inside looks pretty, I think I would have gone for those or the Wossner they just ooze quality but unfortunately I'm trying to put this bike on the road at a bad time no job for example so I hope I don't regret it but cost is a big factor especially as the crank rebuild is costing the guts of 500 quid. Though I have budgeted a grand from the redundancy I still need tyres, chain and sprockets, 2 indicators and a battery plus oils and registration also about 300 quid to put the 6 on the road oh crap the grand is well gone. I hope the two bikes bring back the memories and smiles as those two bikes along with my 70 bonnie, jump through 70 and NSU quickly all made me happy. I thought I looked really cool riding the quickly with my Barbour jacket and full face Bell helmet (the helmet cost more than the bike), except the last 40 yds to my house as it was a steep hill well steep for a quickly when I had to pedal like hell of course the kids used congregate just waiting to give me support and cheer me on. I like to think it was cheers but they were really falling about with laughter and shouting abuse.