Bypass?

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
Tipper2

Bypass?

Post by Tipper2 »

I'm getting on with sorting out my kettle and hitting the usual problems of bolts shearing etc.(don't know how to put pic's on here).

I've had to take the head off to drill out the thermostat bolts that sheared when I went to replace the stuck thermostat. While I was in there I thought I might as well check the water pump (it seems OK) but when I pour water down the bypass hose it doesn't come out of the pump. I can't find a diagram with a good description anywhere so can someone please tell me if the bypass is blocked?

I don't know you've come across these before but they're fantastic for old jap bikes being the old JIS head: perfect for removing stuck screws.

http://www.onlyqualitytools.com/catalog ... ivers.html
yeadon_m

Re: Bypass?

Post by yeadon_m »

Looks good, thanks Tipper, I've stored that link. I like the idea of a 12 degree 'torque screwdriver' though I don't know how it works!
Mike
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

You hit it with a hammer Mike. :roll: :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
RichardsMorphy

Post by RichardsMorphy »

It's an Impact Driver cleverly disguised as a normal screwdriver. The idea is that nobody borrows it without returning 8-)
Drew. '75 GT750M
Tipper2

Post by Tipper2 »

Anyone any ideas? Please?

I'm wary of putting it back together in case the bypass is blocked and it has to come to bits again.

Thanks.
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi,I would have thought that the seals in the pump would only allow water to travel in one direction,& that is up !! If at any time these seals fail, water/coolant will drop from a tiny hole in the bottom of the water pump housing onto the ground alerting you to the problem of a failing pump :cry:
Cheers,
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
teazer

Post by teazer »

Seals keep water in the water ways and out of the oil. The bypass is directly connected to the main fore-aft water passage that connects to the pump at the rear and to the lower radiator hose at the front.

If you pour water down the bypass hose, it should all fall out of the front rad hose connection or out of the pump, depending on what parts have been removed. If the pump lower cover is off, I would expect water poured into the bypass hose to fall out of the pump, unless I'm missing something.

What is removed on your bike and what is happening to the water you are pouring into the bypass hose?
Tipper2

Post by Tipper2 »

If you pour water down the bypass hose, it should all fall out of the front rad hose connection or out of the pump, depending on what parts have been removed. If the pump lower cover is off, I would expect water poured into the bypass hose to fall out of the pump, unless I'm missing something.
That's what I thought. The radiator's off and water pump cover removed but when I pour water down the bypass hose it doesn't go anywhere.

Off to the garage to start sticking bits of wire down holes!

Thanks for your help.
Tipper2

Post by Tipper2 »

Sorted it.

The mild steel fitting at the bottom of the bypass hose where it enters the crankcases was blocked. There's only about a 3mm hole which was blocked solid. Got the engine back together but now got carb problems. Yippee....
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi,Carb problem :idea: buy a copy of Baz''s excellent Video off eBay ;) if you have L,M,A,B with CV Carb
Roger
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.