LEAKING SEAL ON GT750A OIL PUMP LEVER SHAFT.

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
boots

LEAKING SEAL ON GT750A OIL PUMP LEVER SHAFT.

Post by boots »

Hi from Oz............Can anybody help me with the so called garterless seal PLEASE?
Roger Ackery

Re: LEAKING SEAL ON GT750A OIL PUMP LEVER SHAFT.

Post by Roger Ackery »

:tw Hi,I haven't heard of anybody sourcing this "V" seal :( Mine weeps a little as well,I think a few guys here have had some success with aftermarket seals from Bearing Service Shops.I'm tempted to take mine apart & try to get the correct "V" seal from somewhere, I have a mate that runs a Bearing Service Shop in Sydney that maybe able to help with this :idea: :?: But he needs to see the shaft ;)
Cheers,
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
boots

Post by boots »

Thanks Roger...........I will try our local bearing service but they usually find anything out of the ordinary a bit hard. I fitted one supplied by a local engineering shop who said "this one is not quite the same but should work o.k.",so now instead of a weep it lost about a cupfull of oil over 2 nights.Ah well,all part of the fun.
boots

Post by boots »

Tried our local bearing service but all he could offer was an "o" ring.Any information on seal type & size would be appreciated...........Boots
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Is it part 18 you are referring to, or part number 5? Or is there a third seal?

http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/shop/ ... 750oilpump

Kev
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

It's neither of those Kev,boots is looking for the operating shaft oil seal.
Not shown in that parts list.
I'm sure a member here posted on the availability of this seal size,Possibly part number.
oldjapanesebikes

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

I have been trying a couple of u-seal options for the same application. O-rings don't last. Thus far I have not found a perfect fit, but am still looking. I'll be in the shop later today and can get you the part number and supplier of one that seems like a possibility. 8-)

Edit: So the seal I'm testing is called a 'homogenous u-cup' seal, part number HU01870312 supplied by Hi Tech seals here in Calgary - the link to their page is here. These are 'inch' sized - I have yet to locate something similar in metric. Presumably there are suppliers elsewhere on the globe selling something similar. I haven't completed the testing yet, but initial results look promising. The fit isn't perfect as the width is too narrow, although it does seem to seal - an option is to install two of them in the shaft groove, or perhaps use an o-ring as a packer. Later this winter I will spend more time testing rebuilt pumps on my test jig (you can watch a video at this link of the test rig), and if I'm happy I'll try one on a bike in the spring. 8-)
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
teazer

Post by teazer »

Any results yet?? BTW, I have a left thumb nail that looks just like that one after a slight altercation with a hammer. And yesterday I managed to put my hand down on a nice hot soldering iron. Burned skin doesn't smell very nice at all.

Love the test jig.
oldjapanesebikes

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

teazer wrote:Any results yet??
Not as yet Richard - am currently lounging by a pool in Arizona and reflecting on the 36C difference in temperature between here and at home. Here being warmer ! :lol: I will be playing with these again in January I think. 8-)
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
teazer

Post by teazer »

I am starting to hate you Ian. ;) :lol: It was a nice crisp 19f this morning or around -7c or so and it's barely into December. Way too soon for this white stuff falling from the sky.

BTW, I did look at HU series seals a while ago but could not find one that small overall. I can get a suitable bore but way to large on OD and thickness. There has to be one out there though.