Water pump cover leaking.

Post your Kettle problems here and cures
c13urn

Water pump cover leaking.

Post by c13urn »

Hi, does anybody have any thoughts on a leak issue I have from the water pump cover. I first noticed a small spot of what I thought was water under the engine of my 76A model kettle, so I removed the centre pipes and replaced the gasket after first re-facing the pump cover with fine grit wet n dry on a flat glass surface to give a perfect flat finish, I also applied a light film of sealant to both sides of the gasket just to be on the safe side. I have run the bike and after about 10mins on tick over, to my amassment there seemed to still be a fluid leak. I removed the cover again but the gasket was good, so cant see where the leak could be coming from. Looking from the front of the bike to the rear, it appears to be leaking on the left side rear edge where there seems to be a channel formed when cover is attached to the engine casing , incidentally in the casing side there is a hole, which I have read it is a drain hole! to what? Any words of advise or tips would be greatly appreciated . As a point when I noticed the leak the second time around I didn't just presume that it was water, it felt more of an oil rather than coolant but can't be sure. Thanks C13urn
BAZ

Re: Water pump cover leaking.

Post by BAZ »

It will be coming from the breather inside the cover so you will need to replace the water pump thats the problem...welcome to the forum pal.
c13urn

Post by c13urn »

Thanks for your reply Baz , is that a major job or can it be done with the engine in situ or more to the point, if it were left would it become a major issue as the leakage is fairly minor and the bike has just undergone a total ground up full restoration including complete engine rebuild.
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Genrally when a engine is totally rebuilt it is wise to fit a new or recon pump. If the pump was removed during the rebuild it should slide out easy if not you may need a slide hammer. yes can it be done with the engine in just remove the small pipes.good luck
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Baz,
As the poster says the bike has just been rebuilt, is it possible that the pump has not fully 'lapped in' and might improve with riding?
Cheers,
Mike
c13urn

Post by c13urn »

Thanks gents for both of your inputs, it was actually you Baz that did the rebuild for me so I am guessing a new pump would have been fitted, Mikes point about it bedding in with use do you see that as a valid point as the bike has only ever done 17 miles since the rebuild, so it has been standing for a fair while without use, not the best idea I realise.
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Get a few miles on it and send me a PM if you have any problem cheers Barry
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

If it continues to leak you will need to remove the cartridge and have a look at all the sealing surfaces and the small and large o-rings on the shaft and pump body..
Two strokes, its just that simple.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

Can someone tell me why gear case oil would be dripping out of the hole by the water pump cover on the bottom of the engine? I have read several posts that say it's a water pump problem but what does the water pump have to do with the transmission case and oil? I'm restoring a 1974 GT750L and the oil drip didn't start until I added the transmission oil. Any suggestions would be appreciated.