Just havin' a moan

You can chat about anything you like here
CJB

Re: Just havin' a moan

Post by CJB »

yeadon_m wrote:Reiner tells me that despite all sorts of nonsense about part #s, all GT550 pistons fit all GT550s. What differs is the rings, cast for nikasil and plated for iron liners
SCEM (NICASIL) engine pistons have a series of holes drilled on the inlet side to match the bridge between the ports. They are there to allow extra lubrication to the bridge in what's become effectively a very large opening on that side of the bore. If anyone's rebuilt two stroke motocross engines you will know that for engines with enlarged bridged exhaust ports you need to drill these extra holes in any aftermarket pistons for the same reasons. If contemplating using non original pistons I would recommend the holes be drilled to match, otherwise there is a chance of premature wear to the rings at the point they traverse the bridge and or wear on the bridge itself.
nairb123

Post by nairb123 »

yeadon_m wrote: Did I mention fecking careless
Mike
I think the point is that we PAY others for their experience/knowledge/equipment to do a job that we are unable to do. Be that a re-chrome/paint job/re-bore/fault diagnosis. They supply a service and we pay for it. They are not doing it for a favour.

One story from my car restorer friend is that he took a cylinder block to “you know who” for a re-bore and when he got it back he checked the bores and found at least one was oval and unserviceable. I need to ask how he resolved that.

I know the worlds not a perfect place and errors do get made..... but its loads of dosh and wrecked
parts that are difficult to replace. I am fortunate that I have not suffered in this way yet.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Agreed 100%. I actually don't mind paying competent, experienced people a very good rate. I think those who can braze, weld, paint, chrome etc are pretty wonderful. Perhaps I'm a little bit German (where I understand an experienced engineer might be called 'Herr doktor engineer'! out of respect).
Those who should be able to do something just pulling the wool / leg of lesser folks do *iss me off though.
Cheers,
Mike